Dug 16 Shotgun Shells Before Digging Up a 1700's Dandy Button with a Cool Design!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunny and 50 degrees today, so I headed for the woods. Most of the 10 inches of snow we had the other day has melted, so the ground is saturated. Always a good time to metal detect!

Dug a ridiculous 16 shotgun shells in a row before hitting pay dirt. Found a really cool dandy button from the 1700's! It even has a design on it, which is rare for my button finds. It was 4 inches down in very wet soil. Had to put my knees in the snow to dig it, but it was worth it.

This is why I tolerate the lousy New England weather! It's a very special feeling digging up a Revolutionary War era button. It's like holding a part of history in your hand. Here's a few pics:

DSC06030.JPG DSC06031.JPG DSC06041.JPG DSC06042.JPG DSC06034.JPG

Upvote 16

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds! Colonial buttons are way cool to find! :thumbsup: Nice job recovering a part of history!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,guys! I know it's not silver or gold, but it made my day. Not too many good finds in the dead of winter.

We've got two more warm days ahead and then it's back to the cold weather again...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on digging that big old button. You don't find them around my area.

Last edited:

cologneman

Apr 6, 2015
Northeast Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and XP Deus. Garrett Carrot and MI-6.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find! Nice design. Always nice to dig 1700's. Looks like it warm up again next week as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread