Dug in my car

takeonestepback

Jan 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So dug through my car(I deliver pizza's, so change is everywhere).. and I have like 10 wheat pennies. don't think any are superwow, but there is this one. I don't know what it is, but you can barely see it with the naked eye at all. I didn't want to clean it because I heard the vinegar/salt trick can devalue a penny...but I've tried rubbing it off with a damp cloth,etc... still there.

I only noticed it because I was cataloging and taking pics of the interesting coins I found. New at the whole full blown collecting bit. 20150102_015726.jpg 2015-01-02 02.03.13.jpg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a small spot of corrosion. There are ways to remove it, but I would just store it in a proper holder.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree nothing special there. It's in pretty nice shape though.

OP
OP
T

takeonestepback

Jan 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K, ty. normally I wouldn't think anything of it, but when I zoomed in it has a fairly smooth "s" structure. The stamped S's I imagine would be the same size as the D's, not smaller.
Does the vinegar/salt method work without ruining the coins?
What other methods are there?
I am curious as to I have a bunch of coins that look like they were covered in battery acid/corrosion caked(not from my car). don't think any of them are important though. But then I also found this one.. 1966back.jpg 1966face.jpg

OP
OP
T

takeonestepback

Jan 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly doubt I'm going to run into a "holy grail" of coins, but some of these are pretty neat looking and I don't want to damage them. That 1966 back looks a little bit raised on the possible double stamp and not by much, but I have no magnifying glass. Using a Note 4 and a led pen light.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell what is going on with the '66 from the photos, it might be some foreign substance on the coin but hard to tell. I would never use vinegar and salt on any kind of collectable coin. The only thing I would use for corrosion is a product especially made and tested for coins, verdicare.

OP
OP
T

takeonestepback

Jan 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can tell, that offset appears to be under the main stamp. thought about if something stuck to the coin(like another one) but can't figure out how it would have transferred past the pillars like that.
I'll assume that Verdicare isn't at the local hobby shop, but maybe I can call a few coin shops in the area and see if they happen to carry it. Thank you!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The '44D wheat looks pretty clean already. What do you hope to accomplish by "cleaning" it? If you remove all the patina, it will ruin what little value it has. That was a very common year so there really isn't much to lose, but, what is the point? As for the '66 memorial, you would need better photos to get a meaningful comment. For corroded, non-collectible coins, run them through a tumbler with aquarium gravel/vinegar/soap and just spend them.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, the 66 appears to have been stuck to another coin. What you see as going behind the pillars is just an opitical illusion. If the coin had been struck twice the previous transfer would have been smashed. Not to mention it is a different color than the coin. That is the dead giveaway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread