CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hi I don't normally dig for glass but while detecting yesterday I ran into sandstone with glass wedged around it as well as large iron, which is what made me dig in the first place. Anyways heres the glass help with time period please and type ?

Mystery Glass bottom 1.jpg Mystery Glass bottom 2.jpg I've never seen a bottle made this way before any help ?

This item has royal patent labeled on it so I am guessing its Imported from England or Europe. But any into is welcome on time period and type of item. Thanks in advance :hello:

royal patent.jpg

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like the pushed up base of a wine bottle, this allowed sediment to settle and be captured there so that when you poured the wine the sediment didn't get poured into your glass. They still make them like this today for may companies....

Click on 'BASES' and scroll down the page a bit to Push Up Bases... Bottle Bases Page

Last edited:

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the pushed up base of a wine bottle, this allowed sediment to settle and be captured there so that when you poured the wine the sediment didn't get poured into your glass. They still make them like this today for may companies....

Click o 'BASES' and scroll down the page a bit to Push Up Bases... Bottle Bases Page

Hum... and all this time, I thought those little indentations on the bottle bottoms were there to make it look like you were getting more product than you actually were!

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Click o 'BASES' and scroll down the page a bit to Push Up Bases... Bottle Bases Page

Thanks epackage, nice link !!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crman, you are in a great time area for some older glass. Look around for depressions in the ground.

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
crman, you are in a great time area for some older glass. Look around for depressions in the ground.

Ok will keep that in mind next time I am detecting out there :hello:

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just saw the thread , I am not a metal detector guy , thou I use one to look for hidden dumps , like you found . I find a lot of junk metal which means nothing to me . but it is the glass I look for.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
that is commonly called a "punt" and added to the structural strength of a bottle under pressure like champagnes and other sparkling wines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread