dump sites vs buyer sites

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
hey ya,

Need a tiny bit of advice. I am finding most of the banks and credit unions won't do anything with money unless you have an account. I have accounts at two different places, one a bank and the other is a credit union. Unfortunately the credit union is the only place I know that has a coin counter and it only takes 200 dollars a day otherwise even with an account they charge you. So far I haven't had that much but I have 200 dollars plus in nickels to turn in (which is going to stink because those things are seriously heavy!). but when I get around to getting my first box of halves I know their machines don't take halves. The only thing I can think of is at each place I stop, ask the cashier if they will exchange a couple of rolls of halves for 20 bucks. I don't want to turn my credit union sour by making it my dump site. Any ideas? Hints? advice for a newbie?

Thanks,
Hugs and Smiles,
garoulady

PS - I got 200 saved up. Only 300 more to go before I can get my first box of halves. Yeah!! ::rubs hands together eagerly:: I wouldn't even care if it was a skunk. Just saving 500 up has been a milestone for me. LOL.

Upvote 0

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the general rule is to order in one Fed district and dump into another.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey there Garou :)
Just wrap them up, and give them to the credit union, why not right? And the nickels, just spread it out over 2 days, bring 150$ one day (or just a box and a bit of other nickels) and the rest the next day :) I can do as much as I want with my machine, I've done 600$ once :P Imagine sitting there for 30 minutes.. AWKWARD! Lol!
And good luck on saving up the $500, do the $5 Savings Challenge!
Every $5 you run into, put it in a jar =)
Wicka

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
I opened up an "ebanking" account online with Bank of America. No fees, no minimum to open or balance to maintain, but all deposits and withdrawls have to be through the ATM. I applied online, and in the mail they sent me the info to make a deposit. I got my ATM card, and my initial deposit was a whopping 5 bucks. Best thing? Since I am exchanging bags of coins for cash, it does not count as a deposit or a withdrawl. 5 dollars to open, and I am dumping at 7 different BofA's, 500 dollars bags of halves at a time... Every so often, I'll deposit 10 dollars through the ATM so the account is not dormant... and then, go buy lunch on that account. Every time I take in a bag of halves to exchange, I have to slide my debit card and enter my PIN. No one has said a word about my tiny amount of cash, usually under 10 dollars....

Bags of coins are exchanged inside the bank at the merchant teller window.

Last edited:

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I deposit at the main branch of my bank for the district, so there are always plenty of tellers there to spread the dump around. I have had a long standing account (20+ years), so they haven't said anything yet. Also with it being a main branch, that means they are more likely to have enough to make a deposit to send back after I dump. This main branch is 45 minutes away though.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have counters! You all are spoiled! Wrap 'em and scrap 'em!

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish, Calebxx12...! Then I would try and drain them like a car wash change machine...! Bags go straight to the vault teller at Merchant accounts...

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank for the information everyone. it's appreciated.

Was hopeing to get 500 bucks this weekend with a yard sale. But I got the flu after just one day in our basement cleaning. I think it was from the black mold when we ripped out my mom's very old kitchen counter. Takes up too much room and we plan on putting in a simple laundry sink. rotten mold. I really really wanted to have that yard sale. Everyone keeps on pressuring me to donate it, or worse throw everything away, even my books!! eek! I'm at the point whether it is a quarter or a dollar, its money in my pocket that wasn't there before. If we are lucky in michigan maybe we will get an indian summer blast. I wanted to put out a self serve yard sale, but in the neighborhood they would have taken everything, including the table.

Anyhow, I am going to make some comfort food, (mac and cheese with hotdogs, YUM!), curl up with a heating pad and hope to sweat out this flu quickly so I can start getting my yard sale in order. I want my box of halves!! LOL

Hugs and Smiles,
-Garoulady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread