ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not necessarily. All of the banks I use for dumping purposes have coin counters. When the bag fills - regardless of the denomination of the coin, the bag is sealed, placed into the vault, and then picked up by the coin courier. Its the same amount of work for whomever has to change the full bags out of the coin counter whether its halves, dimes, or whatever. In this case, I can't see why halves would be any more of a nuisance than any other denomination.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
.......It seems to me that i see on here that some have a hard time getting rid of there halves

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is literally a silver mine of info here in regards to dumping halves. The search feature is your friend ;)

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels, dimes and quarters are very easy to dump at most places. Halves are fairly easy also just depends on the bank. Check around with several different banks and branches until you find one that meets your needs, some branches are just difficult while others are super helpful. Be courteous even to the rude ones, I have had some branches flip on a dime and be super nice or they somehow remember they DO have some halves you can buy. Bank of America seems decent for ordering or dumping if you have one in your area, the ones here just want it put into a coinlok bag then sent off for deposit in a 2-3 days. After dealing with them for a bit they know you aren't there to short them and may just start to counter credit your account while your bags are being processed, and make any adjustments in a few days if it differs from the actual coin count.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I halve had tellers say that halves are very hard on some machines.

Broke a coin machine at a CU with half dollars, ruined it and it took a good two weeks to fix it. I felt pretty bad, but, they need to maintain these machines, oil them, do routine patience and I'm sure they'd run good.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not necessarily. All of the banks I use for dumping purposes have coin counters. When the bag fills - regardless of the denomination of the coin, the bag is sealed, placed into the vault, and then picked up by the coin courier. Its the same amount of work for whomever has to change the full bags out of the coin counter whether its halves, dimes, or whatever. In this case, I can't see why halves would be any more of a nuisance than any other denomination.

This is why you re-roll quarters, dimes, and nicks, and cash them in at the teller window. Any bank will happily take them back that way, because then they don't have to order as much coin that week.

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinloks are the easiest for dumping halves. It takes good relations with your dump banks to do this though. I only have two branches of one bank that will accept bags. Coinloks will hold $1000 but I only fill to $500; the vault tellers at both branches are 40-50yr old females and it makes it a lot easier for them to handle. Also, I had them give me all the information that should be filled out. It's a pain for them to write on a full bag of coins so I write the info before filling. Coin counters are good for fast cash but like everyone said, it is hard on the machines. Make sure the coins are clean (no trash, dirt, debris). The most I bring in is 500 to coin counters. They have to change the bag 5 times. Luckily I have around 15 branches with machines so I can spread out the dumps. The most important thing to remember is to be polite and courteous; the banks and tellers allow us to enjoy this hobby. HH!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Best thing I could tell you Keppy is talk to your bank, it seems to vary from branch to branch with mine, most all of mine will take rolled coin, or coinlock bags, 1 branch refuses rolled coins and only will take coin lock bags. Check their policies and talk with the head teller if you can, be honest with them and tell them that you deal with a lot of coins and want to know the best way to bring them into them ( what is easiest for them) My area has no coin counters so I am at the mercy of what the banks will take coins back in. Also, your dump bank is the most important bank in this hobby, keep them happy! If you can, have some good stake in your dump bank, mine holds my mortage and several other investments so they are more apt to work with my dumps than someone who just keeps 1000-1500 in a checking account with them. This has worked for me for the past year of doing this. Good luck! HH, Maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Any bank will happily take them back that way, because then they don't have to order as much coin that week.

This is not true though with all banks, my dump bank will take the rolled Dimes Nicks and Quarters back in a box, but they are all sent back out for count, they will give you cash on the spot for them but, they never give you CWR's of those, they are always MWR's, I asked once to get some CWR's and was told no, they can't give those out, they have to be sent off to be processed. HH, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions