Dumping

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do this for a while, some teller, somewhere, will give you the drop dead looser look. Just accept it.

Find out how much they need to have to send out with the courier, that way they don't have to sit on it. Oh, and BTW you will want to open a couple more bank accounts if you plan on doing any sort of volume. HH!

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
BTW you will want to open a couple more bank accounts if you plan on doing any sort of volume. HH!

Look around at the banks and credit unions in your area. Dumping dimes without a coin counter is VERY time comsuming.
I use the coin counter at two different credit unions. Each of them only require a $100 saving account.

Southpaw

Aug 26, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
MIhunter said:
Look around at the banks and credit unions in your area. Dumping dimes without a coin counter is VERY time comsuming.
I use the coin counter at two different credit unions. Each of them only require a $100 saving account.

It's really not too time consuming as long as you don't make them count every roll. I just give them $250 in CWR inside of a dime box. Sometimes the bank will have empty boxes laying around that they are willing to give you. I just have to accumulate $250 in dimes. It makes for a much shorter visit.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dump 750 at a time, but I have coin counters, so I am not sure.. I think 500 is a good number if you are bringing them in a way that the coins can be easily transferred.. Like Namster said, prepare to get the "drop dead" look... Just kill them with kindness. Also, it never hurts to ask, "is there any way I can bring these in for you the next time that makes it an easier process for you?" They will then know you care enough to try and make their life easier and they will also know to expect you again..

Last edited:

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
$10^3, or go home. Always talk kindly to the tellers, be polite, make small talk, and while dumping (at a coin machine anyways), maintain proper posture. Even dumping dimes with a coin counter, can be difficult; 1. the fast cummins machines can count 1000 dimes in 2 minutes or less BUT, the cummins machines count VERY incorrectly at times, and can really short you. 2. The slower belt fed machines take around 30 minutes (which is very awkward) to count $1000, worth of dimes, are accurate.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's a reasonable amount of dimes to dump at once at a bank.. I am forced to roll up all my dimes bc the bank I'm with doesn't have coin counters and I don't want to pay coinstar or open a new bank account.. But anyway I would be bringing in all cwr.. What's a good amount to dump without that bank wanting to kill me?.. lol

This is basically an unaswerable question. All banks are different, and even different branches of the same bank in the same town are often vastly different in terms of what they are willing to do for you. Unfortunately, there really isn't a way to tell ahead of time how much you can dump at a time (and how often) without it being a problem at any particular branch of a bank. Even if you talk to the manager ahead of time and get the "all clear" to dump away, they may change their mind. For example, when I first began to CRH I sought out a dump bank. I sat down with a branch manager explaining what I was doing and that I wanted to run $500-$1000 a week through their coin counter, and that if they were willing to do that for me, I would move my main checking account to their bank immediately and a decent sized CD to their bank when it matured in about 6 months. The manager happily agreed. After 2-3 months of dumping about $500 weekly, I got a phone call stating that they would no longer accept "large amounts" of coin from me. But, during that time I also began using another bank for dumping purposes. They told me from day 1 - without even asking if I had an account, which I didn't at that time - that I could dump as much as I wanted, as often as I wanted through their counter and it will never be a problem. Thats been over 3 years ago now. I have hit them with as much as ~$1500 at a time and as often as 3 times in a week, and have never had any problems whatsoever.

You'll just have to get in there and start dumping and see what happens. You may get cut off in a month. You may never have a problem. Best of luck!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I kinda use the "no more than you can carry rule" I definetly would not walk into the bank with a cart full of coin, I don't search Dimes but, I would think 2 boxes to start would be fine. Some branches that I didn't talk to first I just went in with my normal dump ( 2 boxes of halves) dumped them and then asked if this was ok and if they wnated it done diferently, I haven't had a problem yet, all said this was fine, I then asked if once a week would be ok and they have all said yes it's no problem. As I have said before though, I have a lot invested in my dump bank ( Mortage, IRAs, savings, checking, same account for 25 yrs, ect.) this helps out a lot for me. Best thing to do is just ask, if you know they take rolled coin allready, then go in with a box dump it and then ask what they prefer, if this is ok and if you can bring more like this. Like Arkie said, this is a hard question to answer, but this is how I did it. Good luck, Maverick.

OP
OP
hughmaster10

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
namster said:
If you do this for a while, some teller, somewhere, will give you the drop dead looser look. Just accept it.

Find out how much they need to have to send out with the courier, that way they don't have to sit on it. Oh, and BTW you will want to open a couple more bank accounts if you plan on doing any sort of volume. HH!

Haha I've already gotten that look just asking for CWR dimes, so it shouldn't be a problem.. But I guess I'll just have to try and see what happens! Thanks!

OP
OP
hughmaster10

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
Southpaw said:
It's really not too time consuming as long as you don't make them count every roll. I just give them $250 in CWR inside of a dime box. Sometimes the bank will have empty boxes laying around that they are willing to give you. I just have to accumulate $250 in dimes. It makes for a much shorter visit.

Ooooh good idea! Thanks for the input! I'm definitely doing this!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Most all banks here have no coin counters. They ship out $500 bags of dimes loose. So, if they receive rolled dimes, they still have to unwrap. Time consuming for them. I have sweet talked some into providing coin-lok bags for me and I have brought in $500 bags of loose dimes for years with no problems which is odd, seeing how I never count loose dimes.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The reason i am not good at dumping.. i don't kiss a$$ or kiss up ...and i don't like to feel like i am begging....

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Arkie is dead on. There is no way of knowing as banks are so different. The one thing I have learned is it is all about the people working there that can make or break you. If you get one teller or manager who is annoyed with the coins you will be done.

There seems no set policy for the same branches. I have had banks order for me all the time when another branch of same bank tells me they will charge. Same with dumping.

My best advice is to bring the dump bank bags of candy. My strong opinion is that dump banks are far more important than pick up banks. The amount of time you take from the tellers rather than picking up is huge. Keep them happy!!

When I first started this a few years ago, the idea of bringing in treats to tellers seemed a bit creepy to me. After doing it one time and seeing their response as well as how they now smile and know me on a first name basis.....money well spent.

Good Luck

MU

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quarters, dimes, and nicks should be the easiest to dump with no problems. It just takes a little up front leg work on your part. Ask to speak to the vault teller of your dump bank (I am assuming you are not breaking the cardinal rule and dumping where you get your coins from). Explain to her what you are searching, and ASK her if you brought in the same amount every week if it would help her on her ordering of that denomination. Banks have to order quarters, dimes, and nicks every week for operation. If you can work up a system with the vault teller of your dump bank and help alleviate how much she has to order, it will save her time, and the bank money. Try to make it win-win and chances are you won't lose.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to talk let me know. Am sure i can help you.

Mtldealer

May 8, 2012
District 12, SouthWest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find banks with larger vaults, ones that deal with commercial customers? I looked for nabs with large vault doors. I take 8K on Mon, Wed and Friday... To 3 banks. They don't seem to care. Their biggest concern was me bringing in the night before they get a pick up. Opening a business account will enable you to bring in bags. I think it's worth it. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions