Dunbar, Brinks, Garda and Loomis

ScottNVAB

May 22, 2011
No way they share. They are competitors. It's like saying Pizza Hut is out of dough and they ask the local
Dominos to borrow some Dough. Not only is the answer no, it's HECK NO!
SC

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
ScottNVAB said:
No way they share. They are competitors. It's like saying Pizza Hut is out of dough and they ask the local
Dominos to borrow some Dough. Not only is the answer no, it's HECK NO!
SC

I think it would be even stronger than that. :laughing7:

JT10

Oct 29, 2010
The Mitten State
I have wondered about this myself. The bank I order from uses Loomis and they boxes are NF String rolls. However, one time this year my two half dollar boxes were sealed Brinks Boxes. And on another day, my Nickel box was a sealed Brinks Box. I thought that was very odd.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Not sure exactly. I do love listening to people who insist that their "opinion" is a guarantee. Fact is, unless you work for, or own one of the mentioned processors, who really knows what they do??? Even if you did own one, a loomis for example, who is to say that the way you do it, is the same way someone 2K miles away does it?

Reason I am sharing my thoughts is this... I have been picking up from Wells Fargo, (brinks) for 9 months now at least once a week. At least 3 times now, maybe even 4, I have walked into my brinks pick up bank, and picked up loomis halves. I would consider that sharing.... Makes sense to me, Brinks for whatever reason was out of, or low on half dollars, so they grabbed a few boxes from loomis to fill the order.

Anyways, happy hunting.

50centman

Feb 25, 2008
Yes they can share. They are part of the Fed when they process coin. If they run low on a denomination they can get it from one of the other carriers. I know this happens from experience. If the other carrier has a ton of stuff they don't need, no reason not to get rid of it.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50centman said:
Yes they can share. They are part of the Fed when they process coin. If they run low on a denomination they can get it from one of the other carriers. I know this happens from experience. If the other carrier has a ton of stuff they don't need, no reason not to get rid of it.
+1.

I just got 2 Loomis penny boxes from the Brinks carrier. In my area, Loomis started to use its own wrapper and box, not N.F. Strong anymore. So you know for sure. Brinks still has other denominations in their own type of boxes.

Remember one thing, none of these carriers own the coins. The coins belong to either "the Fed" or "the depository institutions" depending on the accounting status. When we place an order of boxes of halves, the order goes to "the Fed" in most cases, the Fed checks its inventory at the carrier's vault, if there is no more, then the Fed will shuffle some boxes of its "own" coins from a nearby carrier's vault. For large national banks, they have their regional/central vaults. So the coin order goes to the central vault. The central vault usually buy a large batch of halves from the Fed on an irregular basis. That's why sometimes when we order from a large bank, we are told that they are out of half boxes and have to wait for next week. I once had a buddy headteller told me when he got the coins from their own bank central vault and when from the Fed directly. He always got boxes for me whenever I called him. (I miss him very much, sorry for off-track.)

For some areas the Fed may not have its own vault and just rent one of the carrier's vault.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread