Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gagloop1.jpg gagloop2.jpg

Found at my favorite Elementary School. There's a corner of this place near the woods that has been producing finds from colonial, to just pre-Civil War. Pulled a Draped Bust, a Matron, and a Seated half dime out of an area no more than 100x100.

This piece was found very near the Draped Bust, and considerably deeper.

These things a generally known as Gag Loops, or Swivel Loops (and are often considered horse tack).

But there are a number of sources (particularly in England) who steadfastly refer to them as sword hangers.

I have seen commercial catalog pages with similar pieces referred to as gag loops... and I have seen early patent data suggesting that they were commercially manufactured in the mid to late 19th century. But this piece is earlier... (it appears to be cast in a mold that was hand cut.... or perhaps it was sand cast).

Given the depth at which it was found, and the craftsman nature of the piece... I'm a little uncertain as to what it is.

For what it's worth... the person who lived in the 1790's vintage home that was on my Elementary School property, was a war of 1812 Vet.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 2

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The UK sources that refer to it being a sword hanger are incorrect. It is a brass horse tack piece of the 19th C (mostly 19th C).

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions