Early settlers, what was considered valuable to them

Jollyrodger1

Apr 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My imagination wonders at real questions, being most lived off the land, no jobs or companies then, basically farming. what can we expect to find to which I do sometimes, occasional coin, spoon, fork, relics , handles, pitchfork, tools.
so yeah did they hide the little money they had and hid it in outhouse etc.

I’ll let all you experts give us the details and facts, interesting when you care about history which helps detecting to.

OP
OP
J

Jollyrodger1

Apr 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right, even when I find buttons, eating utensil, it gives me a sense of my goodness, and this was only a few hundred years ago

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve read that they would burn old cabins to collect the nails. It was definitely hard times. They could do everything right and still starve.

OP
OP
J

Jollyrodger1

Apr 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you imagine, do you think they teach this in school, it’s very important to understand the past, to understand know, why is this not important it wasn’t that long ago , very disappointing

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were in that time I would want a gun, an axe, a saw, a hand auger/drill, oxen/mule, plow, hoe, shovel, cast iron pan and Dutch oven, basic plates bowls cup and utensils, flint, needles for sewing, seeds, salt, and maybe a few other items I am forgetting at the moment

OP
OP
J

Jollyrodger1

Apr 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were in that time I would want a gun, an axe, a saw, a hand auger/drill, oxen/mule, plow, hoe, shovel, cast iron pan and Dutch oven, basic plates bowls cup and utensils, flint, needles for sewing, seeds, salt, and maybe a few other items I am forgetting at the moment
Yeah I’ve found a few thimbles

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drinkable Water. Or cider, Beer ect..
Food.
Fire.
Gunpowder and salt were already mentioned. But vital.
I would think water/hydration would be taken care of on site or as you found a source. So maybe a barrel or two for the travel stages?

OP
OP
J

Jollyrodger1

Apr 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean what would they hide being not having much.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
In the northern climate they needed a lot of firewood to keep themselves and their livestock alive in the winter. Axes and saws were a must. Those big heavy field hoes were needed of you didn't have an ox. And of course a basic education to break the cycle of poverty.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a copy of a letter online written by my fifth great grandfather talking about the hardships of settling in 1850s Sabine County Texas from South Carolina. I would love to see the original. Little Simeon mentioned is my fourth g-grandfather so he survived as well.

1711998585958.jpeg
1711998610605.jpeg

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve read that they would burn old cabins to collect the nails. It was definitely hard times. They could do everything right and still starve.
If they did not have nails, and that was common, they used hand cut pegs. That wood auger was certainly a necessity for that and a multitude other tasks.

Fredneck

May 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, ORX, White's XLT, AT Gold for Fresh Water
This counterfeit mold of the early large cent had to be valuable to the early settlers on a site I've been digging. Found in a pit or privy, hoping the other side is also there when i get a chance to finish the pit.

Attachments

• PXL_20231113_010148164_4.jpg
    PXL_20231113_010148164_4.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread