ebay

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Plz. Explain this to me. I have never purchased a coin off of ebay. The pic is not what is described.

ForumRunner_20140407_140918.png

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The seller probably posted the wrong picture. If interested, just contact the seller and see which is correct, the description or the picture.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can mail the seller and ask him what is his feedback info say any negatives?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The seller probably posted the wrong picture. If interested, just contact the seller and see which is correct, the description or the picture.

I agree! I see this all the time on eBay with coins and lots of other items. It happens more often with Sellers that deal in volume but have seen it also happen with Sellers that only sell 10 to 20 items a week. I agree that if you are interested, you should contact the Seller at the eBay provided link and get the correct information about what is beig sold in the Auction. However, you should also do so, so that the Auction will be corrected or pulled so that some unsuspecting Buyer doesn't get taken or vice versa. Whenever I see wrong items in an Auction (i.e. the pics of the item does not match the Item Description and/or Title), I always contact the Seller to get the information corrected not only for the benefit of the potential Buyers/Bidders but also for the benefit of the Seller. There is another reason I do so and that is to prevent a bait and switch tactic which some bad Sellers actually use. If I contact the Seller and the information is not corrected in a reasonable time before the Auction ends, then I report the Auction to eBay.

Frank

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i buy lots of coins on ebay...but only mid grade, inexpensive "slot filler" types, i don't think i would buy high end though.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i buy lots of coins on ebay...but only mid grade, inexpensive "slot filler" types, i don't think i would buy high end though.

I've bought everything from coins worth 50 cents to silver dollars worth $5000 on ebay, and done fairly well. The thing to remember is to only buy from someone with a good feedback rating (high number & %), and to avoid buying something that sounds too good to be true (it prob is). I bought a coin from a dealer using buy it now once (price was way below book value - prob a mistake). He emailed me right after, said it had sold in his store, and wouldn't be able to sell it to me. He prob realized he priced it too low. I was kinda bummed, but as a token of goodwill, he sent me a 2014 eagle for free! So there are lots of great dealers out there on eBay.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You will get a better response if you ask the seller directly rather than ask a bunch of strangers with no affiliation to the seller. :tongue3:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I've bought everything from coins worth 50 cents to silver dollars worth $5000 on ebay, and done fairly well. The thing to remember is to only buy from someone with a good feedback rating (high number & %), and to avoid buying something that sounds too good to be true (it prob is). I bought a coin from a dealer using buy it now once (price was way below book value - prob a mistake). He emailed me right after, said it had sold in his store, and wouldn't be able to sell it to me. He prob realized he priced it too low. I was kinda bummed, but as a token of goodwill, he sent me a 2014 eagle for free! So there are lots of great dealers out there on eBay.

If you only buy from sellers with high feedback ratings then you will miss out on a LOT of good deals.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you only buy from sellers with high feedback ratings then you will miss out on a LOT of good deals.

If it's an inexpensive coin, that's fine. I'm just saying I'm not buying an 1893-s Morgan from someone who joined eBay last week, and has a feedback of 1 from a "roll of unsearched wheats cents with 1916 (d?) on the end".

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
If it's an inexpensive coin, that's fine. I'm just saying I'm not buying an 1893-s Morgan from someone who joined eBay last week, and has a feedback of 1 from a "roll of unsearched wheats cents with 1916 (d?) on the end".

Thats fine and I agree but that's not what you said in your original post...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread