Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Havilah_Springs said:
Great Idea! :icon_thumleft:

Questions though:

1. What quantities (ratios) of lemon juice, salt, and water are used?
2. The lemon juice being the acid, will vinegar work instead of lemon juice?
3. I only have a 6 volt power supply, it may take longer, but do you think it will work?
4. Lastly, is the wire with the white markings on the power supply the positive?

Thanks,

Rick (Havilah_Springs)

I use about a cup of water a tablespoon of lemon juice and teaspoon of salt...
I have tried vinegar but I didn't think it worked as well...
yes a 6 volt will work it will just take longer which should also be safer for the object.
yes the white line wire is positive

Chukers

Attachments

• elec.JPG
    elec.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,250
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh for those who don't have AC adapters readily available like I do almost every yard sale you goto you can find theses cheep... go check it out!

Chukers

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Havilah_Springs said:
Awesome,
Thanks for the advice, I am going to give it a try.

H_S

glad I could help!

Havilah_Springs

Oct 23, 2011
VENTURA COUNTY, CA
Detector(s) used
WHITES EAGLE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Chuckers,

Built my contraption and using it now, seems to be working. :icon_thumleft:

I do have a recommendation though, Use this device in a well ventelated area as the bubbles you see are from the water molecules breaking down. What is water? H2O! :o You are separating the Hydrogen from the Oxygen, and the Hydrogen gas is extremely flamable, so best to do this in a well ventelated area to avoid the Big Bang Theory. :o

H_S

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Havilah_Springs said:
Hey Chuckers,

Built my contraption and using it now, seems to be working. :icon_thumleft:

I do have a recommendation though, Use this device in a well ventelated area as the bubbles you see are from the water molecules breaking down. What is water? H2O! :o You are separating the Hydrogen from the Oxygen, and the Hydrogen gas is extremely flamable, so best to do this in a well ventelated area to avoid the Big Bang Theory. :o

H_S

yeah it don't smell too good. LOL

Chukers

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuckers,

Any advice on cleaning this very grotty "V" nickle. Composition on them is 75% copper and 25% nickel plated. Should I use a nickel spoon? I have one that used to be Nickel silver and the silver is gone off it.
I just wanna get it clean and readable so I can put it in a sleeve. Picture of the coin below.

029A-1.jpg
023A-3.jpg

Front Back

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheGeorgiaCanuck said:
Chuckers,

Any advice on cleaning this very grotty "V" nickle. Composition on them is 75% copper and 25% nickel plated. Should I use a nickel spoon? I have one that used to be Nickel silver and the silver is gone off it.
I just wanna get it clean and readable so I can put it in a sleeve. Picture of the coin below.

029A-1.jpg
023A-3.jpg

Front Back

I think I'll try that on my next nickel... the way I have been doing it makes them pink... but it does clean them.

Chukers

Alienson

Nov 15, 2011
Austin, Texas, area
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting discussion from start to finish. Most laptop computer AC chargers are 18 volt DC and they are usually heavier duty than others.

A few years ago I salted away the instructions for using a larger setup of electrolysis for de-resting iron and steel. The instructions came from an antique tractor site. A five-gallon bucket was the container, pieces of rebar were the electrodes and an auto battery charger was the power source. I'm not sure, but I belive that the wet mix used lye. (Hard to find these days.) If there is some interest, I know I can find the instructions again and or find the site where the details were originally given.

I suspect that in any of these systems that the amps capability (which is related to the voltage output) is directly related to how fast the particular system would clean an item.

HH/HH

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alienson said:
Interesting discussion from start to finish. Most laptop computer AC chargers are 18 volt DC and they are usually heavier duty than others.

A few years ago I salted away the instructions for using a larger setup of electrolysis for de-resting iron and steel. The instructions came from an antique tractor site. A five-gallon bucket was the container, pieces of rebar were the electrodes and an auto battery charger was the power source. I'm not sure, but I belive that the wet mix used lye. (Hard to find these days.) If there is some interest, I know I can find the instructions again and or find the site where the details were originally given.

I suspect that in any of these systems that the amps capability (which is related to the voltage output) is directly related to how fast the particular system would clean an item.

HH/HH

I have heard some people using Regular old Car battery chargers for the bigger stuff... I never have so I don't know how it works... I assume the same way... anyone know?

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DevilDog812 said:
thanks for the answers :icon_thumright:
but i have another question, and this is pretty interesting to say the least.

i found a 9 volt charger that im using now. have some kind of knut that im using as the sacrificial metal( it isnt magnetic so im assuming aluminum). and it is in some salt/water/lemon juice solution. now here is the question. my water is turning bright aquamarine-blue!

it literally looks like this
blue%20pom%20gatorade_medium.jpeg
There must be copper in your sacrificial metal. What you are making is copper sulfate. I do this to turn quarters dimes and nickels into copper ones. Its a neat trick to show kids.

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'll try that on my next nickel... the way I have been doing it makes them pink... but it does clean them.

Chukers

Btw I'm cleaning that V nickel atm and I'm using a 1979 Canadian nickel to do it. The 1961-1982 Canadian Nickels are 99.9% pure nickle. Just make sure it's not one of the rare varieties between those years. Rare 1965 is worth 350$

Will post after pics when I get done.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheGeorgiaCanuck said:

Chukers

Btw I'm cleaning that V nickel atm and I'm using a 1979 Canadian nickel to do it. The 1961-1982 Canadian Nickels are 99.9% pure nickle. Just make sure it's not one of the rare varieties between those years. Rare 1965 is worth 350$

Will post after pics when I get done.

Good Idea... can't wait to see your results

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I have gathered everything I need to try this "experiment".

But - I'm still confused on one thing - I've got the plug in from my old home phone (cordless) - I've taken off the end, split the wires and put an alligator clip on each one. I have my old spoon and the things I want to try cleaning.

Now - am I going to plug this sucker into the 110 volt wall socket?

(I done electrolysis before, but, never like this).

Beth

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Ok, I have gathered everything I need to try this "experiment".

But - I'm still confused on one thing - I've got the plug in from my old home phone (cordless) - I've taken off the end, split the wires and put an alligator clip on each one. I have my old spoon and the things I want to try cleaning.

Now - am I going to plug this sucker into the 110 volt wall socket?

(I done electrolysis before, but, never like this).

Beth

yup... when you have it plugged in, and as long as the two ends do not touch while inside you container it will be just fine. If they do touch it could blow a circuit breaker at worse, or it might damage your coin... I really don't know for sure I've never had them come in contact with each other.

I do remember when I was very young I took a cord that was plugged in to the wall and touched the 2 wires together... There was this LOUD POP and the whole house went black... now theses have transformers so its not going to be like that... I have never tried a straight wire electrolysis I am sure it would be too much juice... These have step down transformers so they are not as powerful...
so don't worry about it too much but just keep them apart to be safe.

Chukers

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok finally found time to work on that "V" nickel.

Before and after pics follow.

024A-2.jpg
DSC00460A.jpg

Before and After Front.

025A-2.jpg
DSC00461A.jpg

Before and after Back.

It cleaned it enough to see more details. This coin isn't going to get any better, it was buried 1" under a dirt footpath and was abused for years by foot stomped dirt ground into it daily. I'm happy with it though, good enough for people to not squint to see the details now.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheGeorgiaCanuck said:
Ok finally found time to work on that "V" nickel.

Before and after pics follow.

024A-2.jpg
DSC00460A.jpg

Before and After Front.

025A-2.jpg
DSC00461A.jpg

Before and after Back.

It cleaned it enough to see more details. This coin isn't going to get any better, it was buried 1" under a dirt footpath and was abused for years by foot stomped dirt ground into it daily. I'm happy with it though, good enough for people to not squint to see the details now.

Very nice.... yeah my nickels come out about the same way... at least you can see it now. good job!

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Have seen posts on this over the years and forgotten them. LOL
As I understand it the positive is the anode and negative is the cathode.
Meaning stuff from negative goes to positive.
If there is crud on the cathode (negative) it gets blasted off from the atoms underneath
trying to get out and go to anode.
Glad you mentioned the fork is stainless steel as this is the basis of my thoughts.
Metal you want to clean goes toward and plates the positive.
The crud just floats away.
Hope I got this right.
Also the amps not the volts is the power.
Now for what I want to do =
Have some plated silver forks and want to plate another metal item.
I can put the positive on the item and the neg on the silver fork.
This will send the outer silver to the item.
Please let me know if I am wrong.

Grey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread