Enounter with local law enforcement

Thekingd93

May 7, 2022
Gardiner Maine
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F44
There's an abandoned mental health hospital in my area that opened in 1840 and was closed in 2004. The property is about 100 acres and consists of a large granite building, a large backyard with a gazebo and lawn overlooking the river and a park/common area. There is also a large network of underground tunnels that connects to different buildings and areas of the campus. During it's operation between 1840 -2004 over 11,600 patients died while hospitalized there. I can only presume many of those deaths were because of unconventional or experimental medical procedures. I wasn't able to find any exact causes of death for the majority of these people. Many of the bodies were buried in unmarked graves along the river. The entire property is owned by the "state" AKA tax payers but the building itself is locked down tight, doors and windows are nailed shut with No Trespassing signs mostly due to environmental hazzards inside the building. Lead paint, Asbestos etc...however the outside common areas are available to the public for people to walk there dogs and also dispose of their empty beer cans. Local drug users are known to congregate in the woods and walking trails surrounding the property. Evidence of this is prominent. I came across a tent in the woods while detecting and there was some people in there clearly doing drugs. I was threatened by a woman who was not so easy on the eyes. To avoid confrontation, I went the other way. I do legally conceal carry a firearm and train regularly but obviously it's better to avoid bad situations if possible. I have metal detected around the building quite heavily and found some VERY cool things. Skelton keys, gold ring, coins etc. I haven't had any issues until recently. Local P.D saw me detecting on the backyard and stopped me, basically said he can't tell me what to do with my detector but digging of any kind is prohibited on state property. I asked to see the written law, title, section, statute of limitations etc. He basically scratched his head and said just stay off the lawn and out of plain sight. If he sees me In the woods or surrounding area's he'll pretend I'm not there. This encounter went very well. Basically the reason the "state" doesn't want people digging is because they have had issues in the past with people not filling in their holes so a good thing got ruined for the rest of us. I showed the police officer my Equinox 800, Garret razor root slayer shovel and various amounts of trash that I remove on a regular basis. I'll probably lay low for awhile but I went back again to a different section of the property after the encounter without further issue.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another story of the a$$hol3s ruining it for everyone. One of my proudest moments ( and I owe it to spending time on this site and a lot of reading before I ever bought my first detector ) was when the guy who takes care of a local park came up to me and said " I looked really hard and I can't spot where you have dug. I have issues with some guys that come here, but you're OK. "

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's the right way of dealing with it. Lay low out if sight out of mind.
If a person passes grade with maintenance staff usually it's ok with the rest of the world.

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you tried guerrilla metal detecting?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry a few rounds of ammo I have dug in a small plastic bag in my pouch, and if approached, I do show them, along with the trash in my small pail. They wish me well, and hope I find something good. If whoever DOES take issue, I simply leave, nothing to argue over, it is a hobby.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post thanks for sharing

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry a few rounds of ammo I have dug in a small plastic bag in my pouch, and if approached, I do show them, along with the trash in my small pail. They wish me well, and hope I find something good. If whoever DOES take issue, I simply leave, nothing to argue over, it is a ho
Any reason why you use ammo?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because it has an instant effect, and all were actually dug or in some cases simply picked up from the surface. This is always a slim chance that there COULD be a freak accident with a riding lawnmower.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because it has an instant effect, and all were actually dug or in some cases simply picked up from the surface. This is always a slim chance that there COULD be a freak accident with a riding lawnmower.
That sounds like a good plan if you happen to be approached by park rangers or maintenance personnel who want to kick you out. Even if the lawn mower blade actually hit dead on the primer of a good live round, the pop would do little more than startle you. The shell casing would move at the highest speed, but still only 75% of what a normal bullet would travel and would slow quickly since it's against the blade, and not very aerodynamic. The bullet would head the opposite direction at maybe 25% of a normally fired bullet....probably not much difference in speed than what some mowers can launch a stone. The park knuckleheads probably wouldn't know that though, so, good scare tactics on our part to show the good we do. They would probably be happy to have you hunt the whole park for more ammo! :laughing7:

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One head phone on and pin pointer on vibrate. That’s how I run anyway, I don’t like attracting attention.
I never understood people that leave the noise going on their pinpointer, its so annoying. And the people that hunt without headphones, anyone within earshot definitely hates you.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick up trash when I'm in a public area, plus the junk i dig, and when you get approached by someone that wants to know what you are doing, I say " just cleaning up the trash", show them all the stuff, calms them right down.

Bucketfreak68

Feb 11, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X- Terra 305
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I got back into detecting I had been watching videos on youtube and saw a couple guys who pulled out hand towels to put dirt on if they had to dig deeper in their plug holes.
I liked that idea and never go out without one,I will not leave a dig unless it looks like I was never there even out in the woods.
Was looking at a video not long ago and was infuriated to see guys who were using $700.00 to $1200.00 detectors yet could not be bothered to buy proper digging tools nor to do a proper job filling in their plug holes.
These guys were using regular utility shovels digging foot and two inch diameter plugs had dirt flung all over and left it laying there, and at one point went as far as to trench form a 12+ inch plug hole to about 14 inches away all just to get a couple wheat pennies.
I suspect when they were done tearing up that persons yard they were never allowed to return.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread