Upvote 0

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I use a loop at work, that is what I have been using for error searching for years. Theeeeeennn, the other day I tried looking at errors through the lowest setting on my work microscope. I blew through a bag of coins in no time. Huge difference for me. Much steadier and consistent light source. If you can, try one for yourself and see. I'm sure even a lower quality microscope will make things "easier and faster". Obviously, in the field I'll have my loop. (never liked those visor things, just me) IMHO

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now, naked eye. If I spot anything unusual, I hit it with my 10x loupe.
It's not a great system.
I'm planning on switching to a live video stream from a camera with a macro lens to a decent-sized television via HDMI. My dream is to search from a recliner. No more eye, neck, back, or butt strain. Just lean back with a bag of loose coin next to me, look up at the TV, and enjoy the experience. I have yet to figure out the logistics of this, but I'll try.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eyecup 10X on right lens of my specs, check both sides. suspects get the 20X or 40X confirmation. always have reflecting light source for the coin "wiggle" to spot bounce from scratch vs. raised metal

OP
OP
J

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the advice.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can do a setup with a usb microscope such as this:

I happen to use the Andonstar and hooked it up to a spare monitor that I had lying around, mounted the monitor above my workbench/desk and can blow through a box of coin pretty quickly as long as wife and kids are occupied. I also purchased some polarizers for it as seen here:

which made a big difference when it came to taking pics.

Hope that helps
TwoYewts

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now, naked eye. If I spot anything unusual, I hit it with my 10x loupe.
It's not a great system.
I'm planning on switching to a live video stream from a camera with a macro lens to a decent-sized television via HDMI. My dream is to search from a recliner. No more eye, neck, back, or butt strain. Just lean back with a bag of loose coin next to me, look up at the TV, and enjoy the experience. I have yet to figure out the logistics of this, but I'll try.

If your first reliable source is the naked eye, your missing a lot for sure. H.E. Harris and Co 16X loupe is the way to go! Get it at any Hobby Lobby.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I can not see it with my naked eye. It is not an error.

I mostly agree with this. The biggest and most obvious errors and varieties are the most desirable.
However, I also think it would be most efficient to see everything magnified right away and not trust my naked eyes as much. I'm sure I've missed a fair share of keepers because my first glance wasn't a good glance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread