Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I detected for over three hours this morning and was pretty tired. I still had to go on into town to pick up some groceries and so headed to the store. As I got out of the truck, something prompted me to double check my detecting stuff. Sure enough, no pin pointer! Well, I was here and so I hurried inside and tried to get in and out as fast as i could. Of course, every one that I met wanted to talk but all I had on my mind was getting out to the truck and getting back to where I had been. Part of me was worried that I have even driven over it because I know I dug a hole like ten feet from the truck. of course I hit both lights wrong and had to wait but finally I pulled into the spot and got out to look for it. Sure enough, there was that orange carrot looking thing and it was in great shape. Earlier this summer, my wife had sat down on a stump before we left at dark. The next morning, she couldn't find her pin pointer and so we hurried back to the area. It was an area that had a lot of people using it and someone could have easily found it. Sure enough, there it was, lying right beside the stump. I normally check and make sure that I have put everything in the truck before I leave, but I didn't this one time. My pin pointer had actually fallen out of my pouch after I dug the last hole and was walking back to the truck to leave.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, almost twice, dirtlooter, I think you and I both need to start thinking "lanyard?"

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first started detecting I had the black propointer and was so bad about losing it I painted it yellow just so it would be easier to find. My next was the carrot stick just for the color.

Most non-diggers won't not pick it up for fear it's an adult novelty item.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lost one of the old black Garrett pin pointers. Took me 45 minutes to back track and find it in the woods. I now put a nice big strip of hot pink duct tape on it. I like the feature of the carrot that has it beep when left on for a time.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i lost mine in the woods down by a creek never found it

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have only left mine behind once and fortunately had another target a few feet away so I didn't have far to look. Now its old and I sort of wish I would lose it so I would be justified in buying a carrot.

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have mine attached to me with a janitors key ring reel, for the exact reason of leaving it behind. It's awesome, extends out plenty for even the deepest holes and it's impossible to lose it now.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I first started detecting I had the black propointer and was so bad about losing it I painted it yellow just so it would be easier to find. My next was the carrot stick just for the color.

Most non-diggers won't not pick it up for fear it's an adult novelty item.

I dipped my black pin pointers in the yellow plastic dip right after I got them, got the carrot now

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup, almost twice, dirtlooter, I think you and I both need to start thinking "lanyard?"

yep, you could be right. it's almost as bad as getting to a site only to find that you left something important at the house....pick something, probably anything at least once. they say it gets worse.... but then they say a lot too.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, once. I went back into the woods looking for it, and luckily I was able to find it where I last used it.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't lost my pinpointer yet but I have left my Lesche shovel either leaning against a tree or stuck in the ground on more than one occasion. And, it does an excellent job of blending in with the trees and bushes.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Haha, well .... all the more reason to have the sunray in-line probe. Impossible to loose it. I have stood up, and started detecting again, after forgetting to re-clip it to the rod. As soon as I swing and see/feel it dangling around, will realize I forgot to re-attach it.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a flashlight holster at home depots, fit perfectly, has a belt/pocket clip so it would be tough to lose mine.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost my garrett black on a huge hunt and luckily someone I knew found it and heard I lost it - got it back at the end of the day
I use my garrett carrot now - friend of mine I bought a garrett black one for xmas lost his at a cellar hole - realized it after 5 mile walk back to his car - he said he was sorry - no way he was walking 5 miles back in and then 5 back out again - so one day some other hunter will prob come across it
I now have mine on a lanyard clipped to my pouch

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost my first cheap pinpointer from AliExpress and when i returned to the spot i los it 20 minutes later, it was already gone. Bought then a (black) Deteknix pinpointer and forgot it also a couple of times but was lucky to find it back everytime. Now i have an extra orange Deteknix pinpointer, helps me more not to forget with this color.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never lost mine, but just in case I duck taped my cell phone to it, so if I do lose it all I do is call it and follow the rings ! Just kidding !

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about attaching a 'Tile' GPS tag to mine but haven't done so yet.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep twice. Was very fortunate that the second time the homeowner left it propped up at the base of a tree by the front door, so I didn't have to buy a third one😁

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You just know that with so many people detecting, there had to be several that had a duh moment with their pin pointer or something else. I guess sometimes we might do it just to fit in LOL. I actually have the holster that came with the pointer but I keep an orange tube (M&Ms came in it) for coins to go in. My son n law made me a custom pouch that I totally love and being somewhat lazy, I just reach behind my back and set the pointer into it. Sometimes I miss, most of the time I feel it or hear it hitting the ground. I know that I had another holster, somewhere, just gotta find it. Forest Grump said it best, "it happens."

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lose my pinpointer?...nope! Now...have I ever. ...misplaced my uhhhh....At Pro? Maybe that could be another thread...Ddf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread