Ever see a series of grease filled dies? Pictures

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So recently Hopper39 had a post with a 1996 grease filled die. His was heavily affected. I too had some grease filled die finds (I think) from 1996 as well, but they are very different. I found about 25 coins that all have a similar effect, but they gradually show less and less effect as it goes. Basically the first "9" in "1996" is smudged out with what I believe is a squarish grease mark the size of a pea. That smudge mark gets gradually smaller and smaller in subsequent coins I'll post. I tried my best with the photos, but I'm not sure I'll be able to convey what you see in person. Here goes!

I thought some of my coins were tarnished from being in storage for 15 years, but I think it is actually grease as it does wipe off easily. Here are the three that I didn't wipe off. You can see the 9 pretty smudged out.

IMG_6270.jpg

Here are the next 7. No grease on these, but the top left has the largest error and it shrinks as you move from left to right.
IMG_6272.jpg

Here they are together:
IMG_6293.jpg

Here are the ones with the smallest errors. Can you see the error getting smaller from left to right?
IMG_6294.jpg

Here are some of the closeups of the errors:
IMG_6273.jpg

IMG_6289.jpg

IMG_6278.jpg

IMG_6286.jpg

IMG_6287.jpg

IMG_6288.jpg

Finally there were three of these grease errors that were a little different thant the others (but I only have one photo). I wonder if they are all related:
IMG_6281.jpg

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen something like this where you can see several errors all resulting from the same blemish. I think it's kind of cool to see the timeline effect of these coins. I'm thinking about getting a dateless 1/2 book for $3 and sticking these all in and trying to sell them as a set.

I hope this was a unique viewing opportunity. It took forever to get the photos and post this so I definitely hope I finally contributed something to this site (-:

Upvote 0

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool pic there Hokie, I wish I knew if they were worth anything, I'm sure somebody else would have a good opinion on them. It is weird seeing the timeline effect, I've never seen that before. With the amount of pics you were able to put up someone should know. Very cool though having the full effect set of them. I'm still astonished that you got a full box of 96's, I've never seen that before either, HH, Maverick.

Hopper39

Oct 1, 2011
Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's kind of cool to see the timeline effect of these coins. I'm thinking about getting a dateless 1/2 book for $3 and sticking these all in and trying to sell them as a set.

The condition of these coins is gorgeous; I think that will add something on top of the the very cool timeline effect thing going on with this set.

Thanks for taking the time to get these posted!

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd keep one or two and through the rest on ebay. Let the bidders decide what there worth. Or go to a coin dealer first and see what they'll offer you. Jealous of your awesome find!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Very nice photos documenting the progression. As you know the greater the greased die effect, the greater the collector value. Your coins are mint state so that is a plus, but the single digit may not earn collector interest. The series showing the evolution is more interesting as a whole. I would keep an early, mid, late die state example and attempt to appeal to collector interest as a series.

OP
OP
hokiemojo

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone for the input. I wish I was better at the photos because I don't think I did the best job conveying the transition of the error over time, but you guys seemed to get it anyway. I'm reconsidering selling these now. I expected people to chime in saying they had seen something like this before, but I didn't really get that. If people who look at as many coins as us haven't seen this before, it must not be common to find something like this. I'm going to have to think about this for a while. Thanks again and if anyone else has any experience with this, I'd love to hear them.

Also, photo tips would be appreciated, especially if it doesn't involve a new camera. I was using the macro setting and basically putting the lens right up to the coin, but that makes it difficult to illuminate the coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread