Everyone has their personal " White Whale"...

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me it has been a Barber quarter. I have dug many Barber dimes, but never...never a Barber quarter. Today. I was able to check that particular coin off my wish list. I hit a low laying section of woods this morning after some pretty good rain the night before. First decent target ( 81 VDI on the AT Pro) turned out to be an 1820 large cent. Wow! What a way to start the day. About 50 feet away, I got an "iffy" signal that was jumping around in the 70's and 80's. After some serious root cutting, I popped out an IHP. Re-scanned the hole, and the signal remained. Did some additional root cutting, and down about 6-8 inches out came my " white whale", a 1895 Barber quarter. The next couple of hours produced a very crunchy IHP and Liberty nickel, along with a couple of wheaties, and assorted iron targets. All in all a really fantastic day of detecting!

001.JPG 004.JPG 008.JPG 010.JPG 012.JPG 005.JPG

Upvote 39

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. That hawk was keeping an eye on me for part of the hunt. I was only able to grab the photo due to a big ole zoom lens. HH

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on taking that one off your list. It was the same coin for me. It took me about 8 years to finally stumble over one. At that time I had already found numerous Seated Liberty Dimes and Quarters, and just had not stepped over a Barber Quarter yet. Then on an outing it finally happened, and the flood gates opened ! You will now dig them like your digging Wheat pennies ! That coin sure cleaned up nice.

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Barber! I like the hawk pic too!:laughing7:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on finding your whale. I've never dug a Barber anything or a large cent and you found both in one hunt. Great job!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread