NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unclemac, that is the deepest base on an umbrella I've ever seen, what a beauty! I really like that burst top too. Heck, I would love to go digging abroad, ideally to America.

Another beautiful ink Mich.Wolverine, I've never seen one like that, looks like a little lady or something!

Here are a couple early machine-made inks. A cube-shaped Carter's, mint, clear as a diamond, somehow I didn't scratch it with the rake. It's got a bubble in a bubble! Then there's this really scuzzy staircase ink, it's really crude, the mould seams are all over the place, especially on the bottom.

DSCF5628.JPG

AnthonyCoil

Feb 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GEDC5819.JPG GEDC5820.JPG GEDC5821.JPG
Here are 2 of my favorite inks I've dug recently. The Sanford's on the right is a Tugboat ink with a pen rest dip in the glass, and I especially like the Underwood's because of the extra tab of glass attached to the right side of the neck.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beauties!

I wonder if that tab of glass is seepage out from the mould seam. I found an extract bottle last spring that had a bit of that, not nearly as large or protruding as with this ink though. I'm surprised it wasn't removed by either someone at the glasshouse or the user of the ink. But then I guess once you crack it off you're just creating a sharp edge and the potential for getting a nasty cut, so maybe that's why it stayed? Who knows. Awesome inks AnthonyCoil!

AnthonyCoil

Feb 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beauties!

I wonder if that tab of glass is seepage out from the mould seam. I found an extract bottle last spring that had a bit of that, not nearly as large or protruding as with this ink though. I'm surprised it wasn't removed by either someone at the glasshouse or the user of the ink. But then I guess once you crack it off you're just creating a sharp edge and the potential for getting a nasty cut, so maybe that's why it stayed? Who knows. Awesome inks AnthonyCoil!

Thanks! Yes, I worded it wrong......I do believe it was seepage from the mold seam, my brother's wife has her own pottery kiln, and went to school for that stuff, and when she saw it she said that's exactly what it was!

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I've always wanted to try pottery again. Who wouldn't wanna spin their own ginger beers or jugs and stamp them with your own little maker's mark? haha

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
I'm not sure if this is an ink or a mucilage bottle but its crude and has a potstone.

Attachments

• 1452609345399.jpg
    1452609345399.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, Mich. Wolverine! This one is also very ladylike.

I couldn't discern between an ink or mucilage bottle either, but I do love me a good potstone! I've never understood why some people don't like inclusions in the glass. If there isn't any cracking around it, the more the merrier in my opinion.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another ink you guys might find interesting.

This was my first cone, first ever blown ink actually, recovered June 25, 2015. It lost some clarity to the ashy soil it was in, but I still love this ink. What is strange about it to me are the seams. You've got your side seams and then you've got a jagged offset seam running across through the number 2 on the bottom. I thought that maybe this was a normal cup-bottom mould, but that there was a crack on the resting plate at the bottom, maybe from extreme heat and prolonged use. But what strikes me is how perfectly centered and straight that jagged line on the bottom really is - these pictures don't do much but it almost looks like the mould could have been made this way - so then I thought what if this is actually a 4-piece moulded ink? What an impractical design that would be, to have a cup base like that that could open and close on a hinge. I just can't get my head around it.

Any thoughts?

DSCF5655.JPG DSCF5652.JPG

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
This is my favorite master ink.

Attachments

• 1452704700817.jpg
    1452704700817.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 1452704736297.jpg
    1452704736297.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 97

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i really like those ugly melted looking tops

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a nice one, Mich. Wolverine. I hope to find one with an applied pouring spout like that one day. I too like 'em ugly, unclemac!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread