Excalibur problems

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rubber coating over the wires going to the coil has disintegrated, bad. Called Kellyco and with labor it will be about $300-$350 to replace the coil! Asked about doing a waterproof connector so I could switch between 8 and 10 inch coils, girl I talked to was asking Barry, he said they really don't do that but if I brought him the connector he might. I think I may make this my land machine and just buy an Aquapulse for that kind of money. This has been a lightly used machine and besides the knobs falling off I had so send it to Chicago last year to replace the connector going to the battery, then they lost my battery but in their defense gave me a new one. I think that cost me a couple hundred. Then they told me the coil had also split and wouldn't pass the leak test so I epoxied that one myself. Anyone who thinks these detectors are "rugged" must not be using theirs much!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rubber coating over the wires going to the coil has disintegrated, bad. Called Kellyco and with labor it will be about $300-$350 to replace the coil! Asked about doing a waterproof connector so I could switch between 8 and 10 inch coils, girl I talked to was asking Barry, he said they really don't do that but if I brought him the connector he might. I think I may make this my land machine and just buy an Aquapulse for that kind of money. This has been a lightly used machine and besides the knobs falling off I had so send it to Chicago last year to replace the connector going to the battery, then they lost my battery but in their defense gave me a new one. I think that cost me a couple hundred. Then they told me the coil had also split and wouldn't pass the leak test so I epoxied that one myself. Anyone who thinks these detectors are "rugged" must not be using theirs much!

Been using mine for over 6 years. If you provide the connector Barry will do the work for you.

You said coil has split, if you have had it in salt water odds are coil windings got wet and the salt will destroy the coil windings. (Been there). I let one of my excals fall off my van on to concrete and it cracked coil and I didn't know it. I found it after i had it in salt water, drained it, let it sit 2 weeks then sealed it. The coil died 3 months later.

Did you buy yours new or used?

If it was mine I would have Barry put another coil on it, might even be a member here with spare used coil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bikerlawyer

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got three private replies offering to help this list is great. I bought it new at Kellyco. I think I want to go to a connector so I can switch coils.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said above Barry will do it if you send the connector. It is not a mod they normally do but Barry is more than qualified to do it.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread