Explorer II -increasing depth detection

Dreamweaver43

May 25, 2006
Wisconsin
I just got my explorer II a couple of weeks ago, and it's been working like a dream. I have been running it mainly in the factory pre-set, and that seems to nail stuff in the top 4 inch range. The deeper targets that I've hit have been bigger trashy/non-coins stuff. I was just wonder in the advanced mode what settings would tweak the machine to hit targets a little deeper, especially coins.

I tested the machine in my garden and was surprised the I couldn't get the depth I thought I could have? The sounds of the targets were a little odd down deeper, to the point where I wouldn't think the were good. And actually in some cases the coins were actually being discriminated out?? So that made me wonder???? Hmmm, what have I been passing over?

Anyway, If someone could help my learning curve as I start to tinker into the advanced mode of operation, that would be a great help, especially if I could try some of the setting that others are using! And any thoughts about picking up the deeper signals.

Thanks in advance!

Dreamweaver

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
mine stays on fast , deep ,, and iron mask set to its lowest setting or a couple clicks above iif in mineralized ground.....have dug minie balls/buttons/coins to 1 foot and items 3 inches or larger to 2 ft, no problem, and not on the fringe of the machines capabilities with the stock 10.5 inch coil..............gldhntr

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi Dream, run in deep and turn your gain up to around 8 or 9. If you are running in standard coin mode and coins are being discriminated out that tells you there is some other larger targets which are being discriminated but are close alongside the coins, and the coins are virtually over shadowed and being missed. If this is happening turn on the fast recovery and the coins signals will be there, but they will be short in length.
You can also run in Iron Mask set it on about -6 this is a good average setting which will allow you to find nearly all of the coins and Jewelry, only eliminating coins with high iron content eg, some European coins. In the iron mask mode it is good for picking up good targets close alongside iron targets which would normally be missed by most detectors. You didnt mention what settings you were using as far as sensitivity goes.If you are detecting in Auto sensitivity and the ground is highly mineralised this can affect the depth of the machine.You will find the machine will go deeper in manual sensitivity but it is more prone to false signals if you turn it up too high. If you are using the digital screen remember deeper targets the numbers will jump all over the place, but the tone of the target is accurate, with practice you will learn how to recognise the good deep targets by the tone alone. Are you using headphones or not, if not you will not hear the weaker deep signals.
I would strongly recommend that you have a look at Andy Sabisch book, Mastering the Explorer xs and s. whilst it is for the earlier model Explorer it still applies to the Explorer2. Good luck with your machine seeya Neilo ;D

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Copied this program information from a website

So I can't vouch for it's accuracy yet. If anyone tries these settings, please post effectiveness you achieved with it. Ground soil will vary a lot region to region, so settings effectiveness will surely vary state to state. Here it is and hope that its ok to post this here. I removed a hyperlink to another part of the authors site from this copy/paste document.

Scott

My Program For Minelab Explorer XS and Explorer II For Deep Search

How To Detect The Oldest Coins And Relics Buried Deep

Beginning of My Program
The current Metal Detecting Program, a combination of parameter settings, on my Explorer XS is a result of Try and Error process that have been continuing for past four years. My goal in creating an optimal program was to be able to metal detect successfully under any condition that I might encounter at different geographic locations.

Even though Explorer's 28 Simultaneous Operating Frequencies of the Full Band Spectrum (FBS) allow me to detect without a trouble anywhere in the world, I still would like to detect the deepest targets while hunting under toughest conditions. The following program enables my Explorer to detect remarkable finds at the locations where other treasure hunters quit searching long time ago.
The picture on the right shows the deepest hole that I'd ever dug up at the "hunted out" site, and recovered a large coin, circa 18th century. You can read my full story on Detecting "Hunted Out" Site pages.

The changeable parameters are divided into two groups for better understanding of their utilization:
Group A includes the parameters that I don't change every time I encounter different Metal Detecting conditions such as the type of soil, concentration of junk, and type of the top cultural layer.

Group B includes only two parameters, Sensitivity Level and Discrimination Pattern, that I change even a few times during the treasure hunt according to the site conditions. I operate my Explorer XS only in ADVANCED Mode with Sensitivity set up on MANUAL, and with Tone ID.

Group A Settings:
DISPLAY CONTRAST--at 10
AUDIO VOLUME--Max Limit at 10
NOISE--at 5 (if interference from the power lines, other metal detectors, etc. is absent)
RESPONSE--Audio 1
RECOVERY--usually a combination of both FAST and DEEP (otherwise according to site conditions)
GAIN--at 8 (even a deep target produces a loud signal)--Sometimes I lower the Gain level down to 7 when the junk concentration is high.
TH (treshold) TONE--at 3
VARIABILITY--at 10
LIMITS--at 10
SOUNDS on FERROUS (medium size ferrous targets don't respond with a high pitched tone as if of silver)
Group B Settings:
SENSITIVITY--usually as high as possible--a notch below a setting that makes my detector unstable, which is allowed by trash concentration, soil mineralization, and the search coil's size.
Sensitivity Settings for different sizes of Double "D" Waterproof Search Coils:
15 inches WOT Coil--10-20
10.5 inches Standard Coil--up to 28
7.25 inches Coil--up to 32
Learn Your Metal Detector's Language and Its Full Potential Through Understanding The Manual, Practicing, and Experimenting

DISCRIMINATION paterns vary greatly. I utilize IRON MASK for all types of metal detecting: I always keep IRON MASK at -16 and OFF and switch it ON only when I need to check a questionable signal. I usually utilize the Explorer's Discrimination factory settings to create desirable Discrimination paterns. Occasionally, I use LEARN and EDIT option programs in ADVANCED MODE to adjust Discrimination pattern for a particular target.
My basic Discrimination paterns:

For Relic Hunting and Cache Hunting--REJECT: "Nail", ACCEPT everything else
For Coin Shooting --ACCEPT: "Coins", "Jewelry", "Foil", "Pull Tab", "Screwcap"; REJECT: "Fe Coins", "Crowncap", and "Nail"

OP
OP
Dreamweaver43

Dreamweaver43

May 25, 2006
Wisconsin
I got the book and it definately has helped. I've started nailing some deeper coins. Several wheats and my 1st mercury dime.

Thanks guys!!!! ;)

Dreamweaver

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Read your post last week and ordered the book. I've owned my XS for about 4 years now and have been very timid about using the advanced mode because I really didn't understand it. This is a great book!!!. It should be included with the purchase of the detector. It is much clearer than the owners manual for an old country boy like me and I am anxious to put it's instructions into practice. The book should be listed in the recommended reading section.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neilo said:
You can also run in Iron Mask set it on about -6 this is a good average setting which will allow you to find nearly all of the coins and Jewelry, only eliminating coins with high iron content eg, some European coins. In the iron mask mode it is good for picking up good targets close alongside iron targets which would normally be missed by most detectors.

Don't use that -6 setting in iron mask. I never drop mine below -13 and usually run it at -14. You would be surprised at how much you are discriminating out by putting it at -6. DEEP coin targets will show up differently on the screen than a shallow one, so you could missing some goodies.

Plus, the more discrimination you add to your machine the less depth you are getting. The more advanced guys recommend no iron mask at all. I'm not that brave yet, though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread