explorer2

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi im from down under I have been detecting for around ten years and have been using the explorer for about two years. I have recently acquired a platypus coil from coiltek and am really pleased with it I would recommend it for its excellent depth and clear signals, pinpointing is much better than the standard coil.I also use the big 15inch coil which is excellent for beach use but pinpointing is difficult especially at high settings I find it is easier to pinpoint this coil by gradually dragging th coil backwards and when the signal just vanishes it is directly in front centre of ther coil.I here people complaining that the numbers on the screen are jumping all over the place if you look at your depth guage at the time it generally is a deep target which is too deep for the digital meter on the detector to recognise.This can also caused by electrical interference, hit the noise button,or it can also be caused by multiple targets under the coil.When detecting deep targets you cant rely on the digital readout to be that accurate you are better off going by the signal tone.The digital readout is reasonably accurate up to about 10inches but I still prefer to go by the sound of the signal at depth
The Explorer2 is I believe the best coin and relic detector avaliable today I know they are heavy but I have rigged up a shoulder harness and bungy cord and I can swing it all day with ease.
I hope I can help people out with their Explorer problems new to this forum
neilo

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Neilo.

I'm Fairly New to the EXPLORER , And Am Looking Forward to your Suggestions & Finds Posts Also.

I moved this to The REVIWEWS Page, Because it May Help others Decide On the Explorer.

THANKS FOR POSTING

JEFF

Attachments

• Photo003.jpg
    Photo003.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,483
OP
OP
neilo

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi hope I can give some more explorer tips, manual sensitivity verses auto sensitivity.
In auto you will find that the detector is reading the ground conditions and adjusting its sensitivity in relation to the different soil configuration.You may have your machine set on sensitivity setting 20 but due the ground maybe high mineralisation or salt content conditions the detector runs its automaticly at a lower setting to give the clearest strongest signals.Even though you have it set on that 20 it might only be operating at 10 .
I was asked by a local coil manufacturer to test out a new coil for them in as many different locations and ground conditions and settings,including auto and manual settings for them.In manual and auto in dry unmineralised ground the depth acheived was about even,manual slightly deeper about 10%before it got too noisy.Then down on the waters edge at the beach depth running in auto was a long way behind the manual setting in depth acheived about 30% admittedly it is noisier but false signals are easy to recogniseas against true signals.True signals you will hear swinging the coil in either direction false signals are not consistent.
Then I went to the gold feilds in highly mineralised soil once again manual settings in sensitivity were a lot deeper at least 30% than in auto.
Whats happens in auto in these harsh conditions is the signal platform levels off so even if you put it up to full power 32 it will be going no deeper than setting at which it gives its clearest signals which might only be equivalent to say setting 15.
This is why in manual settings it can go much deeper at the cost of a bit of aditional noise.There is onething I will make clear even though the machine might be held back in some conditions it will still be detecting deeper than most detectors available today.
When setting up your discrimination patterns using the learn function firstly push the noise button then after it has finished,lower your sensitivity to its lowest setting,then start using the learn function on your targets otherwise you can get a screen full of unwanted targets,also when scanning across your targets make slow even sweeps with your coil.

I suppose I have really confused everyone now so I will say seeya later

Neilo

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
detecting an area about 1 square mile, absolutely no trash, in this whole area running sens at 23-24 , iron mask at -16 , fast and deep settings,,, no problems or erratic signals at all ,, except ,, i have an area about 30 ft square out of this whole place, that while detecting over i keep getting erratic feedback in the headphones much like you would get going over 10 million nails or something,,, noise cancel doesn't help, adjusting sens all the way up or down doesn't help, adjusting iron mask to +6 doesn't help,, setting to auto or in manual at any setting i keep getting these signals......there is no power lines within several hundred yards, no underground utilities, nothing.....what am i picking up on ? there is some white quartz all over the square mile, with a silver looking streaks to it, but none of the quartz i detected over will set off the detector,,, figure it is mica.................gldhntr

OP
OP
neilo

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi gldnhtr
Explorers are very powerful machines even at the lowest settings they will out perform most detectors as far as depth goes.They work by sending out a lot of very strong signals into the ground and recieve back only one or two very faint signals from targets detected .What happens in very hot ground,like what you have experienced is a combination of signal,hotground and the electrical feild created by the coil bouncing around flooding the coil with a lot of faint false signals, causing the erratic behavior.
I have had this happen to me on very hot ground in the Victorian gold feilds.
Lift your coil up by a couple of inches and run on lower sensitivity,this should stop the bouncing around lower sensitivity will also reduce the electrical feild put out by the coil.
You said you were using deep setting this is good in quiet ground to boost deeper targets but in noisy ground it can also boost noise.
You also said you were running in fast,Fast is meant to be used in trashy areas where there are good targets close to discriminated targets which would be blanked out if you were running in normal modes longer signal.By running fast in noisy ground there is a chance you could miss the short signal in amongst the noise.
No doubt you would have heard detectorists say low and slow is the way to go
In this case it becomes high,even and slow is the way to go.

high, raise your coil,make even height swings with your coil and go slow
you might think you are loosing depth by doing this but at least you can still find targets where as before you had no hope.

You didnt mention the size of the coil you are using, bigger coils are more prone to noise because the generate a much more powerful electrical feild and the are far more sensitive.

I was surprised to hear you were able to run your detector in iron mask -16 at such a high setting of 23 24.you must have very quiet ground.I would have no hope here.The only time I use -16 iron mask would be on the beach in dry sand in low settings chasing gold chains.
Tip, sprinkle talcom powder inside your shafts on your detector, you will find changing coils easy as the rubber coil lead slides easily inside and doesnt bind up.
hope ive helped seeya Neilo

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
thanks alot, i will tune er up and try it again,,,by the way it is a 10.5 '' coil........appreciate your time...gldhntr

rhhideout

Greenie
Mar 19, 2005
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer E-TRAC
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum,but certainly not new to metal detecting.I've been metal detecting since 1971.
I've had just about all the sovereign metal detectors from Minelab.I've used the Explorer 1 for 2 years.
I am currently using the Explorer 2,which I have had for almost 2 years.I've used all the other major brands.I've not found a better metal detector on the market[ my opinion ].I've purchased a Platypus coil recently and have not give it a workout.Today I'm heading for an old park in Ohio.I intend to give this coil
a workout.After looking at this post,it's kind of long winded.Will let you know the outcome. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread