Facebook photos help

Eppa

Dec 22, 2008
Dudleyville, AZ
Detector(s) used
Famous Trails (I Think)
This image was posted on my facebook local town members. Thought I would share and get your input!

These were the postings below it:

~A few years ago I was poking around up on the eastern rim of the Aravaipa and came across a shelter cave whose walls were covered with these strange "scratchings". I have never seen anything like these. They took some time and effort to accomplsih. Anyone have any info?

~I too have never seen anything like them either. There is a cave up at Rimrock Basin where Abe White used to keep goats. He had put numbers on the cave walls, for some reason. Apparently to keep track of individial goats? These verticle scratches look almost like a counting method, like someone was keeping track of something, but there are other unexplained designs also. Thanks for sharing this!

~I think these must be petroglyphs. Abe used red paint and spike nails driven into the walls of the cave. I am sure that he tied up baby goats at night inside the cave to protect them from coyotes and bobcats and numbered them to make sure he paired them with the right mothers in the morning. They were nothing like this. But I have never seen anything like this photo before. Thanks Skip. How are you? Have not seen you for years and years and years.

~What a great photo - thanks!

~ wow interesting!

~ Wow! This is great!! does anyone else see the marks/scratches making up the profile of an animal's head (bobct? lion? nose is not long enough for coyote or wolf..but sure looks like an animal to me!) Look ABOVE the first small rock in the dirt ( first rock going - left to right), it is located above on the cave wall, marks start at the bottom--marks go upward a ways, and connect with other scratches--profile faces toward the right. I am seeing deer and birds too...LOL...I love this stuff!

~ I saw what resembles a large lion head, looking towards a jumping deer at the right, among grass and flowers.

Attachments

• cave in aravaipa.jpg
    cave in aravaipa.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 378

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT 300 / Javelina Gold Trommel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eppa said:
I don't have any more pictures I can add you to the group page if you want to be my friend on Facebook... They are always posting cabins and neat photos of the areas... http://www.facebook.com/martina.burnam

What does Bump mean?

I have a business page on facebook ... but have no idea how that thing works? as you can tell with the lack of activity! search : Javelina Gold Trommels : dosnt look like i can have friends like personal pages, Checked your page and the hiking website but found no mention of this cave????

"Bump" means pegleg was bookmarking the conversation...so when someone post's on the subject he will be notified.

OP
OP
Eppa

Eppa

Dec 22, 2008
Dudleyville, AZ
Detector(s) used
Famous Trails (I Think)
This cave is mentioned in the Aravaipa/Dudleyville hometown page. I tried to get the link but couldn't find it. I will try harder.
Gonna check out your site! Thanks for the definition of "Bump"! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread