Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
prepare to be annoyed, dig all repeatable signals; after a few thousand targets maybe then you can decide which tones to dig but until then dig it all, you would hate to leave something great behind because it sounded like aluminum

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detectors are designed to look for changes in relative conductivity. They can also determine ferric vs. non-ferric metals.

But otherwise they aren't very good at determining metals. They don't know gold from silver from lead from aluminum. So the designers set up the parameters to read out assuming the coil is over a single, coin sized and shaped target.

Then along comes the real world with odd shaped bits and multiple targets, often mixed metals near each other.

You can narrow it down by pinpointing carefully, coming across at different angles and heights, but it's still going to fool you occasionally. By digging only the best, most solid and "perfect" tones you can eliminate most junk . . . but you'll be leaving some good stuff behind as well. Jewelry, old odd coins, deeper coins.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You are right Charlie P. and ironhorse.

Sometimes...removing those annoying pieces can reveal signals below them.
Depending on where you hunt , people have been detecting for decades and cherry picked the easy areas.

A park pavilion comes to mind. I pulled lots of scraps from the metal roof install. How old the roof was factored in what the scraps might have been defending...
do m scraps do ring up nice though!
In high trash areas visited repeatedly I ' ll clean a small area ,then get away from it to quit digging so much. Clean more next time.

My best dime came from a hole with wire and a nail and another piece of junk.
Another was resting with two nails above it.
In both cases they were on sites long detected. No one had pulled the junk that blocked the " good" tone . Nor did anyone fight the mixed signals.

Takes me 400- 500 coins on average in areas( parks) long hunted by others to get a good oldie. Maybe four times that in " junk".

Last edited:

trancedigger23

Greenie
Apr 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny today was actually my second time out and yes it's very annoying but you get used to it. I discriminate only iron and dig all else because I know anything can be something else when it's packed under so much dirt. My detector isn't top of the line so even decent signals can take a bit of effort if they're 4-6 inches down to pin point and dig alone but I found if it's a solid 2-4 inch or under signal and I can go over the area multiple times and get all sorts of rapid readings in a short area as if even the detector is confused then it's most likely junk and besides that you're usually finding junk anyways so get used to the annoying false positives. If I get a sudden 8 inch+ all the way tone then I flat out ignore it even though I hate doing that. If this signal is very deep and solid 6+ inches but hard to pin point since it almost feels like it's moving around I also do cause I believe it's usually the same deal. Usually what happens when I just go for it is I run into not only a piece but a mass of disappointing scrap metal telling me I should work smarter, not harder.

I'm also after mostly coins and anything silver and I found that coins always have a very solid but very short detection area, if they're under 4 inches than it can get even more confusing but the rule still stands at least with my ace 250 and all it takes if it is a coin is a good short dig and pin point with the detector before diving in and getting closer with my actual pin pointer. So far over 2 days I have 68 cents and no silver coins, it's also about where you look. Just know your area and know where what is most likely to drop. Deep forest I was pulling bullets and other odd scrap but I went to a main path and was pulling dimes and pennies really easy with only 1 quarter so far.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum siding bits and pieces sound wonderful. Unfortunately my yard is littered with them. They are solid, repeatable and yes, high tones. But I have also found silver in the yard so I continue to dig them up.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you have to dig them up. Went through a house site in February, lots of BIG aluminum there. The third big aluminum squished can I dug was a Rev War cross belt plate in brass. Sounded almost identical to the aluminum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread