Favorite Historical Prospector

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Who is your favorite historical prospector?

I think mine has to be Kate Rice, because of her beauty, grit, determination, and work ethic. In many ways she reminds me of my own wife Katie, and not just in similar name, but because of some of the other factors. Yet I guess a person typically cheers for the underdog, and in her case, before woman suffrage, she could not even stake a claim because she was a woman.

She made some pretty big discoveries though, was a great writer, and knew how to handle men. It was said one day in an old prospecting cabin, Kate...who was almost as gorgeous as Tiffany Amber Theiseen by all accounts, had an old nasty miner make a pass at her. She took a knife and stuck it in the floor boards of the shack, and said she would shoot him if he stepped over the knife, then rolled over and went to sleep, confident in her threat, and that it would deter him.

It was funny too that at the end of her life, she thought she was insane, and checked herself into a mental hospital where they determined she was of sound mind, and "just a prospector". That is probably the brutal truth for us all. Sadly, despite her discoveries, and larger than life; life,,,she died penniless and landed in an unmarked grave.

Perhaps that is fitting. Every headstone I have seen has a birthdate and death date with only a dash in between. That dash is that person's entire life, and represented by a simple symbol. I hope Canadian Schools teach their kids about Kate Rice...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Rice

Upvote 0

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does Yukon Cornelius count??!!!

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm a big fan of Gus Chiggins.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMAO Gus Chiggins has my vote!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My 3GGrandfather George Lord. Reached the Bear River above Colfax CA Sept 8th 1849 and moved around until Feb 1850 when he found 7.5 lbs in one day near Downieville. Wisely he did not go to town and drink it up but returned to Iowa sold the farm, married a 21 year old girl 30 years his junior and returned to California where he enjoyed growing grapes and the California weather until he was 98.

Miner49er.gif

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Easy...Yosemite Sam

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jacob Waltz. :coffee2:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
George Andrew Jackson- the first US guy to commercially mine placer gold in Colorado.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom Wait in the movie "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs"

the_ballad_of_buster_scruggs_tom_waits_courtesy_netflix.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread