Feast Your Eyes

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, okay, so I didn't get this score CRH...BUT CRH is pretty much all I do in the coin department and since this is the only place I post, pretty much, I thought I'd share it here. I was at a family gathering over the weekend and my Aunt said she was getting ready to move and was getting rid of things. She knows I do CRH - there's the tie-in! - so she offered me the first look. She said there was a lot of good stuff, but people often say that then show you shiny cents from the 60's and SBA's. I told her about the silver and melt value and she said she would do it for less than melt if it was me who bought them. I came over a few days later and she showed me what she had. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw she actually had the goods :hello2::headbang:.

I sorted through them then asked what she wanted to do with them. I said melt on a Morgan is a little over $11. "Okay then give me $5." I asked if she was sure that was alright and she counted out 10 Morgans and said, "Yea, for that, that's $50 right there." We agreed that I would tally everything up and give her half of melt value.

Here are the rough totals:
Morgan Dollars 16
Peace Dollars 14
Barber Half 11
Walking Liberty 13
Franklin 4
1964 23
1965-9 17
Barber Qtr 5
Standing Liberty 5
Washington Qtr 4
Barber Dime 14
Mercury Dime 146
Rosie 33
War Nickels 16
V-Nickel 20 including 1883 with "CENTS" in F12 condition
And my first really nice seated half.

A pretty nice score for the price. Also a handful of buffalos, wheats, indian heads, and misc. foreign silvers.

HH!

papap.jpg patty.jpg seated.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good job by you!!! lots of goodies at a great price

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful score right there. That top Morgan with the dark patina is stunning. And all those peace dollars... The peace dollar has always been my favorite. I work with a lady who got a 1922 at her part time cashier job from some guys who were tearing down a house and spent everything they found as face value. I'm trying to buy the 1922 from her at a fair price (I'd pay melt at least and more if the condition warrants it) but she's probably going to give it to a family member.

Make sure you help your aunt when she moves and good job!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That might be around melt, but I've never seen a Morgan sell for melt. You were low on actual value, but if you can live with it, good for you!

OP
OP
toorude89

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can live with it considering we are family and the fact that I gave her 13% more than what she insisted was a fair price. And if she didn't sell it to me she was going to give a coin dealer whatever he said it was worth. You've never seen a dealer buy a coin at (or below) melt? Just wanted to show some cool coins off to the fellas, but thanks for putting that spin on it...

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
We always talk about bringing treats for tellers, but for this I suspect your aunt would appreciate a hand written thank you note more than anything (God, I sound like my mother!)

OP
OP
toorude89

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The transaction that took place was essentially ceremonial. Most of these coins were my Grandfather's and some were my aunt's ex-husband's. She has no interest in them and knows I have a great interest in them. She's not the kind of woman who gives up something for nothing and I am not the kind of guy who is looking to get something for nothing. The score would not be life-changing in either direction anyway. Hope you all enjoy the pics. I will add more later today.

HH!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an awesome story- i too would offer melt from a family member and if they offered lower knowing what i would pay i wouldnt mind paying what they wanted, what i would do is like above mentioned i would send a thank you note with a gift card to a movie or restaurant of her liking-
Great score

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That might be around melt, but I've never seen a Morgan sell for melt. You were low on actual value, but if you can live with it, good for you!

I have seen dealers pay melt for common worn Peace dollars, although your coins are better. Good for you. I would have given her a little tip though for letting me have the first opportunity.

OP
OP
toorude89

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I did pay more than what she asked. Again, this was literally the "family price." My hope is that I will pass them along someday to another family member for nothing or close to it. This is generational silver.

Also worth noting, my original proposition was that she have the dealer look at it all, make an offer, and I would match that offer. She insisted I just come over and then she named the price (which I then raised more than 10%).

Last edited:

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome score. I got some coins off my dad, he wanted face value and 10% of the profits that I would make selling the coins. Everyone has a different mind set for what should or shouldn't be paid. If she took them to a pawn shop she wouldn't of even got what you paid.....way to keep the coins in the family with a deal EVERYONE was happy with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread