Few meager CW finds today

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My hunting club went out to a field where there used to be cotton fields for the nearby plantation. This whole area is historic. Just northwest of this field the Union clashed with the Confederate forces as they moved into Little Rock. I started out using my CZ-3D which I am trying to learn because I knew all the targets were 9 inches plus. Between visiting and learning the machine, I hadn't dug anything more than a few square nails the 4th hour into it.

A couple of club members found buttons and some shield nickels. I finally broke out my CTX and started hunting for steady tones. Everything I had dug was shallow iron or aluminum. Everyone cleared out and I decided to stay a little longer and tweak my machine and slow down. I slowed my machine to a 4 second arc and started to listen to the faint signals and dig anything I could pinpoint.

Here are my finds from the last hour of the day. The most shallow was the bullet which was 8" deep. The buttons were 10 inches plus and sounded like pulltabs. I dug one 3-inch square nail that was over a foot deep and I hit charred wood and the soil was darker and less sandy. Because of the depth of the finds today, I think everything is 14 inches deep or more. I felt much better because I just knew I was going home feeling skunked.

I am not sure what caliber this bullet is. Maybe someone can help me identify it. Here are the specs:

128 grains
.565 long
.400 dia
Solid base with 3 rings

Also what is this rivet. Is it CW period?

I haven't fully tried to read the buttons, but the broken one does say Scoville.

20141206_172747_resized.jpg ....................... 20141206_172756_resized.jpg

20141206_172806_resized.jpg ....................... 20141206_154956_resized.jpg

In close, I mostly coin shoot, but I relic hunted a little years ago. I almost forgot how fun it is and how much of challenge it can be.

Last edited:
Upvote 12

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds Pointman .
A good day IMO
Outside Va, Those Civil War relics are pretty scarce these days.
Imo Your button is of the GS Type & everytime I find one in my area it's a Banner find to me.
P.s. Your bullet "Could" be a Merrill Carbine or Spencer that has been fired. & the Rivet look's Very similar in Style as I find in my Western Theater Sites. (But you never Know).
Davers

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buttons and bullets generally turn up in a few places here, but nothing like back east. Last weekend I hunted a house site that had the first few inches of dirt removed. The ground was lowered just enough to turn up a handful of bullets. Another hunter told me that the ground is where the Union Army stayed before the Red River Campaign. They were there for a little over 60 days. Evidenced by the melted lead and charcoal they must have built a few campfires. Across the street the generals stayed at this house that is still standing.

I went back and found the back of another general service button and part of the handle to a straight razor. I didn't know what the handle piece was and I had it sitting next to my bathroom sink. I was brushing my teeth and then it hit me what it was.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding anything Civil War is better than nothing. & Coins are awesome too.
HH
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread