Few Weekend Finds and a What is It?

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few Weekend Finds and a 'What is It?'

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm ok, but the finds are still eluding me...mostly. I did finally manage to learn my machine's nickel sound with much more clarity. For the life of me, this machine is the only one I've used that I just couldn't find nickels with...very seldom. Not saying it can't, I just couldn't figure out it's specific language passing over nickels...but now it finally dawned on me. Maybe more Buffalos in the future...I hope.

The religious pendant is unusual because it is made of lead or some very soft metal. Usually I find them in some other metal, never lead or whatever this is. A few wheats, 1916D, 1941S and a 1981 Canadian cent. Now, if anyone can tell me what that thing is with the three holes...that'd be great. I haven't got a clue. It probably isn't anything notable, but I just cant figure out what it might have been. The only ideas that I can think of is maybe it's a crude jingle. My other thought is maybe a primitive sort of neckerchief or scarf slide. I just don't know.

That's it. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_4769.JPG
    IMG_4769.JPG
    399.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_4771.JPG
    IMG_4771.JPG
    364.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4772.JPG
    IMG_4772.JPG
    394.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4776.JPG
    IMG_4776.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_4774.JPG
    IMG_4774.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 5

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: Odd looking thing??

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are not posting the size of your 3 hole brass. It does resemble some type of hot cold water mixing valve part. But it would have to be about 1 inch in diameter.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds. Hope you have better luck finding nickles. I run my f75 LTD SE in 3H or 4H which makes nickles ring in as a high tone. I have dug more this season than last.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya your odd piece does look like a mixing valve. Nice wheat finds and religious metal!

I'm having the same trouble ID'ing the gold on my detector. I know what gold is supposed to sound and read as, but if I could just lock in on a piece I feel like I'd be over the rough spot.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG NICE RELIGIOUS MEDAL .

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the "what's it" is a slip tie for use with a neck bandana. My old Boy Scout one looked like that except it had an emlem on it. You feed each end of the bandana in through a separete hole but out through the same hole. Then slide it up tword your neck. Friction keeps it in place, or in this case, not in place!

fishleclair

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2015
Thunder Bay Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the "what's it" is a slip tie for use with a neck bandana. My old Boy Scout one looked like that except it had an emlem on it. You feed each end of the bandana in through a separete hole but out through the same hole. Then slide it up tword your neck. Friction keeps it in place, or in this case, not in place!

I was gunna say similar, Or one of them rope things the good ole Texas guys used to wear around there neck

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice day of digs

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What detector are you using? With an AT Pro, I had to rely on the VDI ( usually a repeating 51 ) to predict a nickel. Now I have the F75 SE Ltd, and like Loco-Digger, I have been using 3H tones and it gives a very nice high tone and the visual is very good at saying " nickel " as well. Hope you find some nice yellow jewelry mixed in with those nickels.

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dude: I am using a Minelab Explorer SE Pro. I had an AT Pro and nickels always IDd @ 53 and with a specific tone. Same with my ACE 250 when I had it. It's just taken me much longer to figure out what my Explorer is telling me...the ID in this case isn't helpful...because it jumps around about three to four different sets of numbers...but when it does lock on in the 'numbers' nickels will be something like 10 06 and a fairly solid medium low mumbly tone. I have just avoided the low tones for a few years and anything in the 10 06 range because a lot of times it, like a lot of detectors, turned up as pull tabs. But in this case, the sounds are more important.

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MSbeepbeep: My Explorer SE Pro, I swear any gold I find always shows up(at least when it acts like it wants to lol) in the 06 25 range. The tone is never solid, if you know anything about how squelchy Minelabs can be(most people rap on this feature but until you use one...), as their sounds language is complex...so the item will sound like 'bad tones wanting to sound good' and vice versa. This is nearly impossible to explain to anyone that's never used one before...but, I'm trying. One way i'd explain it, this will sound really stupid...but if you take your finger and brush it over your lips repeatedly while making a low-high-low-high sound...lol...i just don't know how else to say it, anyway, when I hear that 'dirty wanting to be clean' sound...I DIG!! I wont even look at the ID. This goes for gold and silver too and sometimes brass or copper. Now, the parameters are varied of course, mineralization and depth too. If I hear that whacky tone usually the item is 'a nic' over moderately deep and often a keeper. I have found that the majority of my best finds were never solid tones.

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trdking: the suspect valve article is just about the size of a typical shooter marble...or an atomic fireball.

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for the likes and comments. :occasion14:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MSbeepbeep: My Explorer SE Pro, I swear any gold I find always shows up(at least when it acts like it wants to lol) in the 06 25 range. The tone is never solid, if you know anything about how squelchy Minelabs can be(most people rap on this feature but until you use one...), as their sounds language is complex...so the item will sound like 'bad tones wanting to sound good' and vice versa. This is nearly impossible to explain to anyone that's never used one before...but, I'm trying. One way i'd explain it, this will sound really stupid...but if you take your finger and brush it over your lips repeatedly while making a low-high-low-high sound...lol...i just don't know how else to say it, anyway, when I hear that 'dirty wanting to be clean' sound...I DIG!! I wont even look at the ID. This goes for gold and silver too and sometimes brass or copper. Now, the parameters are varied of course, mineralization and depth too. If I hear that whacky tone usually the item is 'a nic' over moderately deep and often a keeper. I have found that the majority of my best finds were never solid tones.

Oddly enough I can just imagine that sound. Lol! Like trying to whistle in the wind, with very chapped lips!
It's all in knowing your machine. I now know the difference between a nickel, pencil top and pop top, but it's the VDI # on mine. I think your Minelab has more tones than my M6. All bets are off when target is deep and there's junk in the area, I dig. Our clad must be deteriorating rapidly, I get bottle cap readings that are deep clad quarters! And a you say there's a bad signal that wants to be good!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread