Filling Whitman (or other) folders through CRH...

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all,

I am a long time coin collector & CRH who used to search through loose change with my grandfather back when I was a little kid (Ill be turning 30 in September). I have always loved the thrill of the hunt when I find a missing coin for the collection. I have been filling a TON of Whitman coin folders over the years and have been lucky enough to fill a few...all by paying face value for all of these coins!!! As I got older I started searching my parents coin jars, cup holders in my friends cars, asking for coin as change from the store instead of bills, CRH and of course now my wife's purse:laughing7:

I have been actively searching on and off for over 20 years now and here are most of my folders along with which ones are complete and which ones are ALMOST there! There is nothing better than finding that last coin and popping it into place with all the rest. Not only am I filling these folders as I go but I am also hoarding Silver, Copper, Wheaties, and most recently I have gotten into searching for errors and proof coins.

No exciting pictures with this post, just some information I thought I would share with everyone. I am a new member on here but I feel like I have been a part of this community for most of my life!!! Happy Hunting everybody!!!

Cents:

#9003 - Indian Head Cent (1857-1909) - Have only found a a small handful
#9004 - Lincoln Cent (1909-1940) - Missing 1909-S VDB, 1911-S, & 1917-S
#9030 - Lincoln Cent (1941-1974) - Missing 1954, & 1959-S
#9033 - Lincoln Cent (1975-Present) - COMPLETE

Nickels:

#9008 - Buffalo Nickel (1913-1938) - MISSING ALOT!!!
#9009 - Jefferson Nickel (1938-1961) - Found all the War Nickels but still missing ALOT!!!
#9039 - Jefferson Nickel (1962-1995) - Missing 1968-D & 1968-S - TWO MORE TO GO!!!
#9035 - Jefferson Nickel (1996-Present) - COMPLETE

Dimes:

#9014 - Mercury Dimes (1916-1945) - Missing 19 coins
#9029 - Roosevelt Dimes (1946-1964) - Missing 1948-S - ONE MORE TO GO!!!
#9034 - Roosevelt Dimes (1965-2004) - Missing 1972-D - ONE MORE TO GO!!!
#1939 - Roosevelt Dimes (2005 - Present) - COMPLETE

Quarters:

Early Quarters - Have found a couple hunting but do not have a folder
#9018 - Washington Quarters (1932-1947) - COMPLETE
#9031 - Washington Quarters (1948-1964) - COMPLETE
#9040 - Washington Quarters (1965-1987) - COMPLETE
#9038 - Washington Quarters (1988-1999) - COMPLETE
State Quarters w/U.S. Territories - COMPLETE
National Park Quarters - COMPLETE (obviously this one will continue each year so I will keep searching)

Halves:

#9021 - Walking Liberty Halves (1916-1936) - All the ones I have found are dateless!!!
#9027 - Walking Liberty Halves (1937-1947) - Same as above
#9032 - Franklin Halves (1948-1963) have about 12 of these but they are all the same year!!!
#9699 - Kennedy Halves (1964-1985) - COMPLETE
#9698 - Kennedy Halves (1986-2003) - COMPLETE
#1938 - Kennedy Halves (2004-Present) - COMPLETE (so far)

Dollars:

Ikes - have found over $250.00 worth
Peace & Morgans - Currently have 25 combined. No folder for these, they are all in Whitman 2x2 Snap Locks

Foreign:

Way to many to count. I have been lucky to travel all over the world on various vacations and have brought back some great finds. It wasn't until recently I started searching through these for Silvers! Cant wait to see what I actually have!

Anyways, thanks for reading!!! I always find inspiration to continue the hobby when reading some of your posts on here! Thanks for all of the great information!

Cheers
Coin Town

Upvote 0

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no 1959-S Lincoln cent, so you can check that off your list. You might want to consider upgrading to Dansco's, thats what I use. I'm quite impressed by the completeness of your lincoln cents and washington quarters... this is from circulation? I've searched a few bags of wheats and am still missing 15 or so dates, including all of the keys. My Roosie set and my Merc short sets are complete though, and I have a full "set" of jeffersons, but I want a full BU set of those, so the hunt continues... As for Buffs, I'm complete from '29 and on, but missing a lot of earlier coins. I'm only missing one of the Franklin halves after '55 ('61) and 7 of the earlier dates... My walking libs have quite a few holes, but only three later-date holes (Thank you, solid rolls of walkers and bens...) It's quite an epic quest to fill all these albums... I'd like a complete set of 20th century coins someday... with the modern issues in all higher grades.

OP
OP
Coin Town

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
bigscores said:
There's no 1959-S Lincoln cent, so you can check that off your list. You might want to consider upgrading to Dansco's, thats what I use. I'm quite impressed by the completeness of your lincoln cents and washington quarters... this is from circulation? I've searched a few bags of wheats and am still missing 15 or so dates, including all of the keys. My Roosie set and my Merc short sets are complete though, and I have a full "set" of jeffersons, but I want a full BU set of those, so the hunt continues... As for Buffs, I'm complete from '29 and on, but missing a lot of earlier coins. I'm only missing one of the Franklin halves after '55 ('61) and 7 of the earlier dates... My walking libs have quite a few holes, but only three later-date holes (Thank you, solid rolls of walkers and bens...) It's quite an epic quest to fill all these albums... I'd like a complete set of 20th century coins someday... with the modern issues in all higher grades.

Thanks...my spreadsheet must have a typo:-). I have found all of these coins in circulation so it's been awesome so far! A bunch of the cents my grandfather had before so I suppose HE found those in circulation for me years before! The thought that I can find another blank hole tomorrow keeps me going after all these years!

You, sir, have quite the selection found yourself! Keep it up!

As for switching albums...not a priority for me right now because it would actually cost me quite a bit to buy 20+ new folders!!! Maybe one at a time as I fill them up...we will see:-)

Cheers
Coin Town

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel the same way... I love searching coins and being able to add new ones to my books. :) I'm working on buffalo nickels now.

OP
OP
Coin Town

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
boristhespider88 said:
I feel the same way... I love searching coins and being able to add new ones to my books. :) I'm working on buffalo nickels now.

I have not done to many Nickels...I think I will start giving then a shot! Takes a little longer to date search but from what everyone has been saying it can be worth the hunt!!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not done to many Nickels...I think I will start giving then a shot! Takes a little longer to date search but from what everyone has been saying it can be worth the hunt!!

It just really depends on your area. My area, all the halves boxes I've been getting in the last month or two have been skunks. I just do nickels because it seems to produce better for me. I usually average one buffalo nickel a box and one war nickel every 1.25 boxes.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Foreign:

Way to many to count. I have been lucky to travel all over the world on various vacations and have brought back some great finds. It wasn't until recently I started searching through these for Silvers! Cant wait to see what I actually have!

If you need help on the foreign coin values and to know which coins are silver, PM me (I have Krause books for 1701-2011).

OP
OP
Coin Town

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
sagittarius98 said:
If you need help on the foreign coin values and to know which coins are silver, PM me (I have Krause books for 1701-2011).

Awesome, thanks for the offer!!!

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good on you i am in the same boat brothers got me to see the value in coins over collecting cards long ago off and on crh but decided i would really make an effort this year andf see what i could turn up i have been surprised what a little more effort has produced. keep going and i am sure you will find a great many coins for your collection.
PIP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread