Finally a nice DDO

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
worth to post. Halves in my area are very dry so I searched a lot of pennies. I found some 09 and 09 VDB's but always want to find a 1972-DDO or better 1955-DDO. Tonight I pull out two boxes in front of me. The first box yielded a 1930, 1936, and 13 common wheats. Then first roll of the second box, second coin caught my eye, put it under a lupe, Yeah, baby, it is the one I am waiting for. Too bad the reverse got corroded. Is it still worth $200?

Here is the close-up:

WP_000711.jpg

WP_000712.jpg

By the way, the manager of one of my dump banks just told me yesterday that he found a 1955-DDO from CWRs back in the 70s. He also told me that he always looked through the half bag and keep all silvers (including 40%) until I came along with large volume of dumps. HH

Upvote 0

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, buddy! I pulled one of those back in '87... I just got flashbacks! It was the coin that got me interested in coin collecting. It's still a cool coin, even with the discoloration on the reverse. What ever you do, don't clean it...it will only lose value if you do - original is always better. May still get $200 out of it. That is a REALLY tough coin. I think I have only seen one other found on this forum, and I have read nearly every post. I hope your next dbl die is a '69 S!

Congrats again!

HH
BB

cecropia_moth

Feb 10, 2010
WOW, that is one heck of a find!!! More than likely that will be a once in a lifetime find.

Perhaps some of the numi guys could weigh in here...

Too bad about the reverse corrosion but I was wondering if NGC's Conservation Services could help you out with that type of damage??? I'm sure conservation isn't cheap and in this instance I don't know if on a cost vs value basis it would pay off for you. Just a thought that came to my head though. Even if this doesn't make sense on a $$$ level it may be something to consider as I am sure that coin is very special to you.

Congrats again!!!

Jeff

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a vareitry of the 72 ddo cent, though you need a loupe to detect the doubling, not just bare eyes, one of those is on my wish list too!

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow very nice find, better than the 3 i got, so i voting banner

OP
OP
Yinzi50

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, buddy! I pulled one of those back in '87... I just got flashbacks! It was the coin that got me interested in coin collecting. It's still a cool coin, even with the discoloration on the reverse. What ever you do, don't clean it...it will only lose value if you do - original is always better. May still get $200 out of it. That is a REALLY tough coin. I think I have only seen one other found on this forum, and I have read nearly every post. I hope your next dbl die is a '69 S!

Congrats again!

HH
BB[/QUOTE
Thanks, BB. Since I live in the east coast, I should dream about 58-DDO instead of 69S-DDO. Of course if the 69S-DDO comes to me, I'd love to have it.

OP
OP
Yinzi50

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, that is one heck of a find!!! More than likely that will be a once in a lifetime find.

Perhaps some of the numi guys could weigh in here...

Too bad about the reverse corrosion but I was wondering if NGC's Conservation Services could help you out with that type of damage??? I'm sure conservation isn't cheap and in this instance I don't know if on a cost vs value basis it would pay off for you. Just a thought that came to my head though. Even if this doesn't make sense on a $$$ level it may be something to consider as I am sure that coin is very special to you.

Congrats again!!!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I probably won't clean it or conserve it.
By the way, any scientist here can speculate how NCS conserve coins? Do they use hydrogen gas, carbon monoxide, electrical current? If they can do it, I am sure an amateur can do it too providing with the right equipments and reagents?

OP
OP
Yinzi50

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add three more close-ups:

WP_000713.jpg

WP_000714.jpg

WP_000715.jpg

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool it even looks to have a doubled ear

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice double die Yinzi! Congrats! Good to see one of the old timers posting a nice find!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
cool it even looks to have a doubled ear

I think the ear is just worn, or is it? Maybe it is a double error coin worth even more than $200. For now, it appears that it is just worn.

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET FIND!!!!!!!!!!!! great eye on that pull :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions