Finding 1" cube of metal above-ground using Garrett Ace 250?

PeteCress

Jun 5, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A part which is basically a 1" cube of either steel or aluminium fell off the snow blower last winter.

I have a grassy area (2-3" lawn) where it probably is hiding above-ground in the grass.

Is there any hope of setting up a Garrett Ace 250 to search for the part without triggering excessive notifications?

I have tried a few settings and, so far, it seems hopeless.

My money is on something under "Custom" settings but so far no joy.

Has anybody been here?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have gone anywhere. These things normally turn up 10' from where you think they were lost. A 250 should find it. Use a pre programmed or basic setting. And hope there isn't a lot of trash in the lawn. Now if it's magnetic steel you can rent a magnetic roller like hey use to pick up nails after roofing and use it slowly over the area. With a metal detector, your swing can ruin a hunt. If you go too fast or go in an open "Z" pattern it could be easy to miss.

Last edited:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
simple raise your coil up to avoid small buried objects try it at 6'' air space and see what happens.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn your sensitivity way down and you shouldn't get those deep signals.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Would be nice to know if steel or luminum...

But , grab a similar sized item and test it with your detector.

A cube that big should holler ding ding ding pretty solid.
Testing would be to see how fast you can swing , and as mentioned how high to run your coil.
Normally you want to skim the grass. But again , that block shape of metal should not be confused with minor/small stuff.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My dog lost his rabies and license tags off his collar; and we weren't sure how long prior. One stainless steel and one aluminum. We have maybe three acres of lawn, pasture and brush lot that were potential drop sites. So, like ticndig says, I put the detector in all metal and held it a foot off the ground and swept fast. Found them both in less than 30 minutes.

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea! If it’s steel (not stainless) this would be my first choice. Best of luck.
Now if it's magnetic steel you can rent a magnetic roller like hey use to pick up nails after roofing and use it slowly over the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread