Fine gold vaporizing

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out this weekend even though there was snow to do a little poking around on my mining claim. Found the typical flower Gold that I get up there a lot. So my question is I saw a decent amount a little flour gold in the Blacksand and the Pyrites that I get with the heavies.I can usually crush up and then burn off the sulfides and pyrites and usually get a little bit more Feingold. This time however I wonder if I overheated it because when I planned out everything there was no gold at all. So is it possible to vaporize superfine Gold if you get it to hot.this is my setup

Attachments

• IMG_2062.JPG
    IMG_2062.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
danec71,
Not long ago there was a post on TNET about this very topic, vaporizing gold, if I'm recalling correctly the answer is yes. Some actually knowledgeable person will chime in here with the real information I'm sure but till then you have a strong maybe...............63bkpkr

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_2062.JPG

Looks a bit better right side up...

For gold to enter a gaseous state you'd have to heat it
to over 5,173 degrees Fahrenheit (2,856 degrees Celsius),
so I seriously doubt that it vaporized on you.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I vaporize gold fairly frequently in my glass work, we use it to color glass a gold pinkish purplish color.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A lot of questions here from your post but from what I read you were expecting more gold from burning the sulfides and pyrites, obvious answer there was none.

OP
OP
D

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was none as in not even the stuff I could see before heating it as I always do.to be more clear I guess I could say I left it longer then I usually do and it was way hotter then usual as I must of turned it a bit more then I do.anyways nothing at all.only the bit of blank sands

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea but, that set up doesn't get hot enough

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the term is sublimation which is when an element skips a phase change from solid directly to gas (and skips the liquid phase). Not sure you can get hot enough to do that with your setup but a crappy refinery can do it on accident (or on purpose lol). Physics nerd here.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
View attachment 1523051

Looks a bit better right side up...

For gold to enter a gaseous state you'd have to heat it
to over 5,173 degrees Fahrenheit (2,856 degrees Celsius),
so I seriously doubt that it vaporized on you.

DizzyDigger has the correct answer for you! As you shown in the attached picture of your OP you had the kiln turned upside down and all your gold fell out on the ground!:hello2:

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We call it fuming, you vaporize the gold in a torch flame and it condenses on the surface of the cooler glass. Some colored glass such as ruby red has gold mixed into it.

The first masters of fuming were glassmakers Louis Comfort Tiffany and his very secretive chemist, Arthur J. Nash in the 1880's. The following sounds like an old sorcerers brew. Slightly toxic, but did the trick.

Mix 12 oz. silver nitrate, 4 oz. uranium, 4 oz. manganese, 4 oz. arsenic, 12 oz. potash nitrate. Add to 100 lb. of molten glass. Combine with artistry, chemistry, and secrecy. The result: “Gold Lustre,” a signature glass of Louis Comfort Tiffany, also called iridescent for its lustrous finish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions