Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the temperatures rising and the beaches opening over the Memorial Day Weekend, I put the Excalibur on charge. Yesterday, Memorial Day, 2016, it was overcast, with temps in the high 70's. I packed up my detector and 2 piece scoop, slipped on my brand new wetsuit, and headed for Penny Beach.
There was a promise that the sun might poke through the clouds and it did. For about an hour. I wasn't the only one thinking about going to the beach. The parking lot can handle over 5,000 cars but there may have been about 200. Still, that's enough to start off the Fresh Drops of the season. Most of my finds were from years gone bye. Surprisingly, quite a few people got into the chilly water. The weatherman said the water temps were around 65.
I only stayed in the water for about 3 hours.
My first "Almost Gold" was a brass stud with some fake ice. Anyone who has done any water hunting knows what it is like to see wet shiny brass in the scoop. With the sun reflecting off it just right, your initial thoughts are 'GOLD'
My second "Almost Gold" came in the form of a bottle cap. I knew it was a bottle cap. Then I flipped it over and saw what is printed on the inside of the cap. Idaho Falls, GOLD, 2004.
Well how about that?

IMG_4252.JPG IMG_4251.JPG

IMG_4250.JPG IMG_4261.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 7

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like they need to change the name to Quarter beach or 2-bit beach by the looks of your finds. I bet the water was refreshing. I know it was good and hot here in Ohio until the evening down pour both Sat and Sun evenings. Congrats on getting your feet wet again. :occasion14: I see gold and silver in your future ATW.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did I miss those quarters !?? Nice finds ! Any other guys out there detecting?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, that is something I just gotta do more of this year! Get in the "drink"!

Good you got a start.
:thumbsup:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you thinking about Salt or Fresh Water?
Is there anything I can help with?

Naw, the only thing I need is gumption. I still have all my equipment from the 70's, LOL! I'm just not as spry as I once was.

Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions