IsoSauSi

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2018
traveler
Detector(s) used
X-terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got a Minelab Xterra 305 with the stock coil as my first detector. seems to work well and I found a couple coins and some pull tabs and bottle caps. some big pieces of rust which are kind of cool.

I think i understand the basics but am still a little confused about the Threshold and if im doing the GB correctly. but I was kind of wondering if the Xterra 305 is capable of finding gold jewelry with the stock coil? thanks! it seems fun im happy about it! can't wait to go back out tomorrow.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

The stock coil can find jewelry (18Khz coil is better for small jewelry and gold)! The threshold is an important feature for finding the really deep signals. It should be set so it sounds like a faint mosquito...then any waver in the sound indicates a target is at the machines detecting depth threshold and should be investigated. GB is also important, you should complete the procedure a few time during the hunt, since soil conditions can change with location and you probably not even know it. What a few YouTube videos or read the manual. I have a Minelab 705 with all three coils; a very light, deep and fun machine to hunt various detecting situations.

Good Luck with your new machine!

Doc

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with the X-Terra 705 a few years back, which is for the most part the same machine but with a few extra features. Learned it pretty well since it's a relatively simple machine.
Yes, of course you can find gold with it! But the trouble is that gold runs all over the scale depending on size, shape, and alloy. But it unfortunately almost always is the same range as most common trash like foil or pull tabs.
As for other settings and to get it dialed in, I would suggest searching out YouTube videos on that range of machine. Different people may have some differing opinions on things, or may be in different conditions, so watch a variety and use what works best for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread