First Find of the Year

upstatedetector

Jul 21, 2009
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F5
I hit the first thawed spot (about 8'x8' - an old flower bed) I could find at my parent's 1840s farmhouse (Upstate NY) with the round HF coil and my first time using 4.1. It was also my first time using the MI6 that I got for Christmas. I couldn't find any other spot on this 4 acre property that was thawed enough to dig past 2". That should change by this weekend hopefully.

I found this at the base of a large pine about 5-6" down. It was a screaming signal. I was wondering when I was going to find one of these on that property. This one still had part of the reeds attached to the reed plates but they mostly broke off when I cleaned it.

Everyone seems to find the reed plates but I don't see as many with some of the wood still attached. I have seen other people dig them in similar condition to this but I can't say as I have seen many dug with the cover plates still attached. I'm assuming the metal was so thin and cheap on the cover plates that they would just disintegrate, like they probably did in the case of this one.

I couldn't find any markings on the reed plates. Would love to know the age.

Attachments

• IMG_5693 (1).jpg
    IMG_5693 (1).jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5694.jpg
    IMG_5694.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 51

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool find, I have found lots of pieces of them and even a whole section of a reed but never that much. congrats

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool find I have not seen one so complete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread