First Hunt of 2016 Brings GOLD & SILVER..........

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So the weather was unseasonably warm and beautiful today so I decided to try and get in a little treasure hunting for the first time this year. I'm getting a much earlier start than last year; that's for sure. My first hunt last year was on Easter Sunday.

We've had a ton of snow and rain so I expected it to be muddy. It definitely was. Since I've had pretty good luck on muddy hunts in the past I figured I was more than willing to get good and dirty to find some treasure.

So I didn't really have much time and I have some car problems at the moment and didn't wanna' drive too far, so I went to my nearby trusty "pounded" field that always seems to give up something no matter how many times I hunt it. The targets are really few and far between these days though. I've hit this site SO many times at this point.

So I started swinging and began digging pull tabs, can slaw and one clad dime. Then I got a nice hit in the high zinc range; a solid 79, and out popped this little beauty........

Arrowhead Silver Feb 28 2016 001.JPG Arrowhead Silver Feb 28 2016 002.JPG

....a cool little Sterling arrowhead pendant. I was happy because silver makes any hunt a good one in my book.

After a little while I dug up a 1914 Wheatie and then a small, cool old octagonal flat button that still has some gilding on one side and the loop still intact.....

Gold and Silver From the Pounded Field Feb. 28 2016 003.JPG

It was getting late so I decided to just dig up some more pull tabs from a really trashy area in the hopes of scoring some gold. So after digging a bunch of pull tabs and trash for almost an hour, I got a nice solid 58 hit and no more than two or three inches down, out popped ring number 59; a nice old 10K, Jenkins White Gold class ring from 1974. This is my first white gold find so I was pretty happy. It's from Walbrook High (wherever that is).

Here it is as I found it....

Gold and Silver From the Pounded Field Feb. 28 2016 001.JPG

And after a very quick warm water rinse.....

Gold and Silver From the Pounded Field Feb. 28 2016 002.JPG

It looks yellow in the pics but it's definitely white. My camera is over 10 years old so that may be part of the problem. The stone is in surprisingly good shape given the fact that the bottom half is so bent. I guess it's a garnet. It would be really cool if it turned out to be a ruby but I doubt it. I've been told that you don't see rubies set in 10K very often.

There is a name engraved inside. It says "William" but I can't make out the last name yet. I have it soaking in some Dawn and warm water. I'll see if I can track down the owner once I figure out where it originated and decipher the last name.

I'm so happy I decided to just dig a bunch of pull tabs. I know it's a pain but that's where the gold always seems to be hiding. Plus, I'm cleaning up the site a little more each time I do it. I still have a long way to go but I'm hoping there's more gold hiding in there. This has definitely been the most productive jewelry site I've hunted so far. I just can't believe the number of rings this spot has produced.

Overall, I'm really happy with the first hunt of the year. I didn't dig a huge number of treasures but I got some good stuff. This is also the fourth class ring I've dug from this field; three 10K and one Valadium. I guess it really is true that no site is every completely hunted out.

Maybe after a few months of weather, the blizzard and the steady rain, things got stirred up a bit. I've definitely swung over the very spot where the ring appeared many times before but I guess today the conditions were just right; not to mention the luck factor of course. Gotta' love that lady luck.

One thing I've learned on this journey is that if you want to find rings, hit well used sports fields and dig everything above iron. The older the site, the better. The amount of jewelry people lose playing sports is just astounding. Plus, when it's good and muddy the targets really seem to just jump under the coil. It's real messy but it can be very rewarding at times (or not).

I guess that's about it.
Thanks for looking and HH......

Last edited:
Upvote 8

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think your little octagonal button is probably half of a cuff link. Congrats on your very nice finds. I hope you can return the ring if that is what you want:icon_thumright:

Dakota Sioux

Nov 11, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were 5 Williams in Walbrook High School Baltimore MD who graduated in 1974

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think your little octagonal button is probably half of a cuff link. Congrats on your very nice finds. I hope you can return the ring if that is what you want:icon_thumright:

Thanks.
If it is half a cuff link it would be my first.

And yes, I would love to return this ring. I've located the school. It's in Baltimore but it has a new name these days. I'm going to post it on the lost ring page on the alumni site. Once I figure out the rest of this person's name I'll try and locate him. I figure he should be around 60 or 61 about now.

The ring is definitely damaged but it would still be awesome to get it back to the owner after more than 40 years. The stone looks surprisingly good and I'm sure it could be repaired. I just hope the guy is still alive. If not, maybe he has a kid or two. We'll see.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find I found a 1973 with school name and initials I posted on the class reunion web site months ago no reply yet Great job We still have 8 inches of snow and 60 degrees today Michigan.. Good finds Keep it up!!!!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find I found a 1973 with school name and initials I posted on the class reunion web site months ago no reply yet Great job We still have 8 inches of snow and 60 degrees today Michigan.. Good finds Keep it up!!!!

We still have a few pockets of snow but it was close to 70 today. I was hunting in a tee shirt. Some areas were way too wet to hunt. It was like a swamp from all of that snow melt. We had about three feet.

I also put another 1977 ring on a class site about 8 months ago with no reply yet.

I found another one; a 1970 and actually located the guy. I even spoke to his grandson on the phone. He didn't want it back and I was told by the grandson to stop trying to contact his family. Go figure.
That was the craziest thing I ever heard. Here I was going out of my way to return the ring and they almost seemed to be acting like I was doing something wrong or trying to scam them. The actual owner wouldn't even return my calls after leaving a detailed message and my contact information. After a few weeks I basically gave up.

Something was really strange about that one. I'm thinking the guy may have had a horrible high school experience or maybe a broken heart involving that ring or something. I threw away a gold wedding band and I would never want it back so I can definitely relate to something like that.

I still have the ring and I gave them multiple ways to contact me. I told them if they ever change their minds to feel free to contact me any time and I'll ship it out the same day.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs Garrett, good luck on the return. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread