First IHP - 1885

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I good day - got out for lunch hour here in cold New England. Hit a baseball field behind an old church. On third beep - got my first ever Indian - 1885. Also a 1950 Wheatie - lots (9) of lincoln cents from the 60's including 1965 quarter. Will be back soon....

How best to clean - boiling Peroxide for 60 seconds? Lemon/Lemon Juice? Olive Oil soak? A combo?

Thanks in advance!!!

20160218_133927.jpg

Arrgh - pic is crappy. Wil try to re-do

Last edited:
Upvote 11
OP
OP
pepperdawg

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on your first,.Dont go the Lemon juice or peroxcide method with that one.The copper is not old enough will probably turn color on you.I would go with the suggestion above.

Yes - tested out the cruddy toasted wheatie I found yesterday by inserting into a lemon for an hour - It did remove teh crud, but the color leaves somethign to be desired.

Thanks to all for the advice. I will soak the IHP in detergent/H2o and gently, oh so gently, with toothpicks and/or toothbrush (or should use brass bristle?). Then probably soak in Mineral oil and see how looks form there.....i'lll post up a pic(s) as I progress. Thx all!

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fill the bottom of a plastic cup with peroxide and put it in the microwave until it boils and drop my coins till the water cools and repeat the process until i am satisfied. The Olive oil takes to long for me. Some times when the peroxide trick doesn't work I'll soak them in olive oil. Good luck and Congrats on your first IH.

OP
OP
pepperdawg

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some updated pics.

Soaked in Hot H20 and Detergent for a day or so - been gently scrubbing with a dish scrubby. Still some dirt crud, but now a nice green. Do folk usually leave the green patina? I like the look - but some copper showing through on the front. (I think).

20160220_063321.jpg 20160220_063309.jpg

Thinking of soaking/gently scrubbing a few more days to get teh dirt off.....then into oil?

When I get it clean of dirt and its still green - wax it and put in a 2x2?

OR scrub the (gently) hell out of it and forgo the green for copper?

Actually will try to get out today/tomm with the warm weather and find another one :) :)

Thx for reading/advice - HH!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread