First metal detector advice

charger500

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2013
NE TN
Detector(s) used
GoldBug Pro DP
I've been researching for a couple weeks now and have it narrowed down to these few, pretty much in this order
- teknetics g2
- garrett at pro or gold
- whites mxt
- whites spectrum xlt
Primary uses will be in wooded areas, old farm houses, and shallow creeks for relics and coins. Nugget detecting would be a plus as well as hunting in water a couple feet deep. One question I'm not sure of is can typical detectors get the coil wet (very shallow creeks) or do you have to have a water proof md for that? Or just a waterproof coil? My price range is around 500 but 3 to 400 would be nice. The two whites are a consideration just because they seem pretty common on eBay and Craigslist. I'm not sure how they compare to the top 2 choices tho.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coils are waterproof, but not the boxes (except the AT Gold). I would go with either the G2, or the AT Gold - Good Luck!

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As Terry said, the coils for all the detectors you listed are waterproof. Just don't drop the control heads in the water, EXCEPT the AT Pro or AT Gold. Both of these detectors are waterproof to 10'.

The White's XLT and MXT are both great machines, very capable relic and coin machines. Both have plenty of adjustments to maximize their depth, you just have to figure out what to adjust. They are both older platforms, the XLT was introduced about 14 or so years ago and the MXT is about 10 years. There are still lots of users, so finding someone to assist you with learning one of them shouldn't be a problem.

No experence with the G2...

OP
OP
C

charger500

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2013
NE TN
Detector(s) used
GoldBug Pro DP
Thanks guys, guess ill just wait and see what deals come up first...

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ask Bart at BigBoyHobbies.net. He can give you a hand on this. He's quick to respond. He seems to have the better deals. Another I used was KellyComettaldetectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread