🔎 UNIDENTIFIED First post! What is this?

RoyBatty

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2024

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpeg
    IMG_0004.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9996.jpeg
    IMG_9996.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 31

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome Roy.. :hello:

Not sure about that rock...almost looks like it could have a band of softer material that weathered away (natural), or it could have been done by man in an effort to mount it on a stick.

I'm no expert in any sense when it comes to rocks, so let's wait til someone who knows what they're talking about chimes in.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
R

RoyBatty

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2024
Welcome Roy.. :hello:

Not sure about that rock...almost looks like it could have a band of softer material that weathered away (natural), or it could have been done by man in an effort to mount it on a stick.

I'm no expert in any sense when it comes to rocks, so let's wait til someone who knows what they're talking about chimes in.
Thank you. It's sandstone so i can't imagine it would be used for day to day use. Maybe for fighting or hunting if anything?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stone. Looks natural, groove does not looked formed by flaking, pecking or made from abrasion. Looks like a softer stone wore away.

Upvote 1

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I would believe your artifact was made by the now named Whittlesey Native American people between 1000 to 1640 AD

Whittlesey culture is an archaeological designation for a Native American people, who lived in northeastern Ohio during the Late Precontact and Early Contact period between A.D. 1000 to 1640. By 1500, they flourished as an agrarian society that grew maize, beans, and squash. After European contact, their population decreased due to disease, malnutrition, and warfare. There was a period of long, cold winters that would have impacted their success cultivating food from about 1500.

The Whittlesey culture people created a distinctive style of pottery and built defensive villages, set high on promontories with steep cliffs and surrounded by ditches or stockades. Their villages were on the Lake Erie plain or overlooking rivers and streams. About 1640, Whittlesey villages were abandoned and due to the displacement of Native groups during the early contact period with Europeans, it is not known where or how they relocated.

South Park Village, a Whittlesey culture site in Cuyahoga County, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A historic marker about the Whittlesey people is located on Seeley Road in LeRoy Township, Lake County, Ohio

Upvote 1
OP
OP
R

RoyBatty

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2024
I would believe your artifact was made by the now named Whittlesey Native American people between 1000 to 1640 AD

Whittlesey culture is an archaeological designation for a Native American people, who lived in northeastern Ohio during the Late Precontact and Early Contact period between A.D. 1000 to 1640. By 1500, they flourished as an agrarian society that grew maize, beans, and squash. After European contact, their population decreased due to disease, malnutrition, and warfare. There was a period of long, cold winters that would have impacted their success cultivating food from about 1500.

The Whittlesey culture people created a distinctive style of pottery and built defensive villages, set high on promontories with steep cliffs and surrounded by ditches or stockades. Their villages were on the Lake Erie plain or overlooking rivers and streams. About 1640, Whittlesey villages were abandoned and due to the displacement of Native groups during the early contact period with Europeans, it is not known where or how they relocated.

South Park Village, a Whittlesey culture site in Cuyahoga County, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A historic marker about the Whittlesey people is located on Seeley Road in LeRoy Township, Lake County, Ohio
Great information. I appreciate you taking the time to inform me. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread