First time CRH - halves full box

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been watching YouTube and reading about this hobby. I got my fist box of halves. Took my time and went thru all the coins and NO SILVER.
But I did end up with a 2002d and 2004 NIFC halves

Now--- gotta deposit them back thru a different bank for Xmas $$

It was fun but I really wanted some silver-- maybe next time.

Any Helpful hints? It looks like buying boxes is not as productive as finding a small out of the way bank with lots of old people's change. Lol

Upvote 0

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Hard to judge boxes on this one time experiance. Some times boxes will go for a long string of duds and then you strike it good. This is supposed to be a hobby, so you take the good and the bad in stride. I was in Michigan for 3 months about 2 months ago, bought a total of 8 boxes while there, ended up with maybe 10 40% halves, zero 90%. Got back to Arizona and a few boxes of duds, then a box with 102 40% and 3 90% coins. Put a big smile on my face and made the 'hobby' fun again... Never give up, pick up small loose coins from banks when you can.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the first time in FOUR YEARS, I got a box that actually had something in it today. A Loomis box with a 1967 and a 1969. Almost had a cow. I have gotten a lot of silver from tellers, but this is the first time EVER I got something in a box. You never can tell. Ask tellers individually if they have any halves. That's what works best for me.

OP
OP
heymirth

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Four Years? Have you been CRH for 4 yrs and getting skunked??? That's not a hobby, that's wasting time.
How many of these guys on YouTube do it? Luck?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do it on you tube and only do a few boxes a year. Tellers here hate me. BTW, this doesn't sound quite right, but oh well.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Youtubers highlight their good finds to get more clicks.

My half finds have dwindled. I got a mega box this year...and I have had multiple weeks of skunk streaks.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Youtubers highlight their good finds to get more clicks.

My half finds have dwindled. I got a mega box this year...and I have had multiple weeks of skunk streaks.

Yepper! They only show when they find something. After all, who's gonna continue to watch their videos if you waste 30 minutes and they find nothing?

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of half dollar boxes end up being skunks, but if you do end up finding something it pays off. The feeling is awesome. Those coins are big, and even with just 40% silver, you've got yourself some good stuff. As far as YouTube goes, it is true that only the good hunts and only the good parts of the good hunts are shown. Otherwise, who would ever watch? It's entertainment and it's a lot of fun for both the creator and the viewers. There's a great community of coin roll hunters on YouTube that has sprung up over the past year or so and it's still growing. Even if the silver dries up one day, the community and the activity will live on.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boxes are always last ditch effort on collecting half rolls from banks.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember the days back between 2007-2010 and nice loose roll hauls. Some boxes were nice too, some with quarter to half filled with 40%. Even bank managers were ordering boxes. My wife's aunt, a manager, ordered boxes and only kept the 90% coins.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found over 200 walkers, franklins, barbers, and about 40 and 90% kennedys from tellers this year. There was ONE big score, they lady dumped her collection and was told by the teller to take them to a dealer and she plainly didn't care. So I bought them. Have just gotten these last two from boxes, the other dozen or whatever came from individually brought in coins to tellers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread