Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally decided to quit reading about all the fun, and went to the bank to order my first box.

First I asked if they had any halves, and they said no but there were two in the teller trays, not two rolls, just two halves. I took them, and one was a '67.

I ordered $500 worth, the vault teller said she would get $1,000 so they had some, and to come back in a week and a half.

I went back to get my much anticipated first box, and was informed that they only got $400 dollars. (?) I didn't want to embarrass her, but I bet her boss shut down the big order. She apologized and asked if I would like to order another box.

They also had 3 rolls of customer wrapped halves that I took.

It was fun looking through them, but there was no silver. I did better with the two in the teller trays, than the 43 rolls.

I think I'll try again.

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better luck next time! :icon_thumright:

And FWIW, I can tell you with 99.9999% certainty that your bank didn't receive $400 worth of halves. Boxes are $500 and the coin couriers do not ship partial boxes. The bank had already sold a portion of the box to someone else. The only reason I bring this up is that you obviously have a little competition in your area. You need to find out the exact day your bank receives coin shipments and pick up your halves on that day. If you wait, someone else can step in and get them all leaving you with a wasted trip and nothing to search.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Gm, you'll get one with something it sometime, keep in mind though that a lot of the finds you see come from some of us searching 12+ boxes a week and some weeks getting nothing from those boxes too. I started out ordering 1 box a week and went up from there, I now do anywhere from 10-14 boxes now, it increases your odds of finding something, which has been scarce lately for me with the exception of 1 great box I had 2 weeks ago. Good luck, Maverick.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Don't give up, you just never know when that good box will show up. I lately have had a terribly slow streak of good coins. I'm now on the eleventh box of zip silver coins, and before that one box with 7 good ones it was fifteen boxes of zip. I get 3 boxes a week from two different banks. I have been finding teller tray silver but my main hunting is boxes. And Arkiebassman is 100% correct, the boxes never come in with a partial fill, always full to the branch. I have been told they only order $1,000 at a time, but the one bank will allow me to get 1 box a week from them so they must be able to obtain a $500 box and not the $1000 order. Keep plugging away and hope you find that GREAT box!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread