First Water Hunt of the Year. Not Dissapointed.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Went with two of my friends to a very old beach today. At first it turned out to be a disaster. We get there and my friend Kevin goes to put on his waders. They were in his shed all winter. They are full of huge black carpenter ants. However it get worse!! I go to put batteries in my machine since I take them out all winter. I forgot the battery holder. I had it in my hand and somehow put it down. It was nowhere to be found. So I have a brand new pair of waders and I tell Kevin to go enjoy himself in the water. I was beating his waders and getting all the ants I could out of them. Hundreds. Three people are already in the water. One I met last year named Ed. We were talking while he was leaving and he asked me why I wasn't detecting. I told him. After he got out of his waders he came to the waters edge with the battery holder for his CZ-21. He said he wasn't going to use it for a while and I could mail it to him. FANTASTIC JESTER. I was awed. So I told Kevin the ants were gone and I wanted to detect!!

Got my waders, he got his and it was a go. our friend Ross had found two silver rings. Greg who came with us scored a Washington. I was finding pennies. However I got the first gold. A 14K signet ring. Then I hit a rosey and soon after a Washington. A while later I got a war nickel. Just when we were getting ready to call it a day, Kevin got a mans 10K 1932 class ring. The first two guys that were there got nothing.

I thought it was funny that Greg and Ross found silver, Kevin found gold and I was the only one that found both. They were not laughing. I know the problem with that spot though. The trash is horrible. Kevin and I had the only CZ's after Ed left and the Minelabs were not doing good with all the trash signals.

Anyway, I also couldn't find my gloves and my hands FROZE in that water. I will have some next time. Ring weighs 3.26 grams, Earliest I have ever found gold in a season.

As for Ed who let me borrow his battery holder. I will be sending it back on Monday with an 8 pack of Duracell batteries to show my appreciation. I was very happy that he trusted an almost complete stranger.

Upvote 7

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a great day for the Fisher crowd. Congrats on the gold. :occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, thank you for sharing! Also a very nice ring find! :occasion14:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Cold water? Couldn't have been much below 34 degrees.:laughing7:
Brrr.
Congrats on gettin out and the scores.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
My hands were hurting! Can't keep a fish out of water long though. This beach was over an hour away from my house. Hopefully going back tomorrow if the weather permits. I found one of my gloves tonight. Hopefully will find the other one tomorrow. Or my trappers gloves which I put somewhere.

I need some hand warmers also. Hopefully Gander Mountain is open tomorrow. I want to get out deeper than I was. This is going to be an excellent beach to dive at in the summer. It is not used anymore.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fantastic hunt man. Awesome to strike gold so quickly. If ever I buy a water machine it will be a CZ-21 for sure

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
That's a fantastic hunt man. Awesome to strike gold so quickly. If ever I buy a water machine it will be a CZ-21 for sure

I will never cut down an Excal. I have hunted side by side with them and I know they punch as deep as the CZ. My problem is in diving I need silence. The Excal is too noisy for me. I was told today that they were all noise and it was very hard to find solid targets. I detect different than most. I don't wait for a solid tone. Sure I dig lots of ghost targets. However, I get a good share of good ones also.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 casper2Z.JPG

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the replies. Striking gold for me is relativity easy. I don't go to hunted out beaches very often. I do hit a beach that has so many 30 cal bullets and brass at it nobody likes hunting there. I love it. The beach I hit yesterday is absolutely full of trash. I have a secret to finding the good stuff most the other hunters don't bother with. If I get ANY signal, I scoop it and dump it in my sifter. Even the overloads. Small coins and rings are hiding under all that trash. Others don't take the time to dig it. I will dig iffy signals all day long. I get gold chains that way also, and rings with broken shanks.

You really have to think outside the box while competing with others in the same area. If I wouldn't have dug some of the signals I did, I wouldn't have found much of anything. I was going back today however, I ran into a huge rainstorm. Pouring rain and 42 degrees is not my idea of having fun. Rain and 80 or thunderstorms is GREAT. No boaters will run me over while diving in 4' of water.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Robert, that's killer. I've tried water hunting waist deep and I always stopped within 5 minutes, and broke for a 12 hour beer break. It just frustrates me but man it can pay off as you demonstrate. Nice gold. Keep them coming and best of luck to you bud!

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread