Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night I read all I could on the F44 and other fishers plus the ATP.
Since it came out as the newest F-series Fisher Detector I don't see anyone bragging on it.
Was it over rated when it came out or what.
User Positives and Negatives please. It seems reasonably priced for what you get especially with the extras that Kellyco offers.
Marvin

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both and have logged many hours on both. I also have the small coils for both. I still seem to go to the ATP more than the F44. I do like the volume on the fisher and hate it that the ATP is without that feature. Both are very light. The screen angle on the Fisher is to steep and requires a degree of manipulation in order to clearly read it. I have no complaints as far as depth on either. The Fisher paid for its self within 4 days with some great finds. The ATP has done the same many times over because I have owned it much longer. My thoughts are that even though the ATP seems to fit my old hands very well, it is still old school and the new stuff coming on the market is somewhat reflecting what users want in what features these new machines have. The MXS by whites has caught my eye and the 400 from Garrett. I also own much more expensive units but they get left on the nail and these light nimble tools seem to find their way to the field with me more often. Good luck on your choice.

OP
OP
GA_Boy

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your input. Since I'm an old boy (76) , lightweight is good. My GBII = 2.9 #, the F44=2.3#
and the ATP=3.03#. I really need to replace my Fisher 1265X (4pounds) with something lighter. As far as volume, I like to run it full blast and control with my headphones.
Thanks again and I would appreciate opinions from others. F44 vs ATP only please and thanks.
Marvin

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that if the weight is co located up under your arm like the new MXS which has the battery box under your elbow, I can tolerate the weight (up to 4 lbs) just fine. If the weight is out past your hand, like many machines it becomes very tiring. Big coils also tend to be a weight problem with me also.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have found that this site does all their tests the same way and they do a good comparison. I can't understand them, but you don't need to, to see the results.

Not a fan of the teardrop coil myself.

OP
OP
GA_Boy

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the Videos. Depth seems about the same. I am accustomed to the beep, beep of the Fishers. The ATP sounds to me like an Ice Cream Wagon.:laughing7: I guess I could get used to it though.
Thanks, Marvin

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the Videos. Depth seems about the same. I am accustomed to the beep, beep of the Fishers. The ATP sounds to me like an Ice Cream Wagon.:laughing7: I guess I could get used to it though.
Thanks, Marvin

I like seeing the face of the detector in real time. You can watch the depth in which the ID starts to travel. I like the buttons on the AT Pro over the flimsy monoplane keyboard of the F44. But that's why it is less expensive. As far as performance, FTP did a great job, and even my Land Ranger Pro, for the price, keeps up with both, since it also shares the same process as the F44.

OP
OP
GA_Boy

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all who posted. I will set my sights on the Fisher F44 and maybe later on get a NEL coil. (Yeh, I'm a Fisher guy.)8-) Someone mentioned that the display wasn't aimed to the eye but maybe towards the bicep instead. Looks that way so I will modify it to suit yours truly. I know, Warranty issues, so I will wait to do the mods.:BangHead:
Marvin:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread