Fluorescense in granite

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife did not appreciate the scratch or acid testing done on this specimen...though the UV test we both found very interesting....This is actually a sample of our kitchen counter, kidding about the first two tests..noticed the bright green fluorescence while showing her a different fluorescent rock on the counter. Any idea on what the mineral is? the photos show a rough edge that has no sealer or any thing else that I can tell on it. Thx. UV is 365nm LV.

granite green uv2a.jpg

green uv granite.jpg

granite green uv.jpg

green uv in granite.jpg

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What spectrum of UV light were you using, Fuss? Knowing that helps on ID'ing the mineral.
Jim

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
haha, just wait until you tell your wife it's uranium :tongue3:8-):laughing7:

true story though...typically uranyl nitrate, most commonly fluoresces green in short wave but can fluoresce in 365nm. That is the most likely element fluorescing. Freak her out first, then let her know it isn't radioactive lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx that just sealed the deal on buying a Geiger counter.....lol

haha, just wait until you tell your wife it's uranium :tongue3:8-):laughing7:

true story though...typically uranyl nitrate, most commonly fluoresces green in short wave but can fluoresce in 365nm. That is the most likely element fluorescing. Freak her out first, then let her know it isn't radioactive lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to make a video tutorial to show how each shot is created, but the basics are, off camera lighting (strobe, speed light ,UV light source etc..), focus stacking technique (I don't have rails so rack the focus manually), quality macro lens 1:1, (I use a 150mm on a Nikon D810 body). That's the basic set up, then its off to Photoshop for image stacking, edits, crops, resizing etc..

I wanna know how you took those pics...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UV shots are tricky because instead of shooting at 1/200th sec with speedlight/strobes, shutter speeds drop to as low as 15 seconds each using the UV as a light source.

Me too...I never get that kind of clarity/resolution on my UV pics

Upvote 0

KStateKing

Greenie
Jan 8, 2019
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, there's def something to be said for camera quality. That Nikon is a rather LARGE step up from my god-only-knows-how-old Kodak.

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great pic. I am jealous of your camera and photoshop skills.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread