Follow-up hunt to the 1844 Seated Quarter & New permisson across the street

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for looking.......I did a Follow-up hunt 2 days ago back to the same location........worked hard to grid all around the area where I found the 1844 seated quarter......but no luck......thought everyone might like a report.....Yes, I did find 4 more clad quarters, 9 clad dimes & 9 cents......but no other silver.....however, I will go back another day.....But, did get a detecting permisson for a large brick home on a 1/2 acre corner lot directly across the street from from where I found the 1844 quarter, so went there today and found these:

001.JPG 002.JPG

4 clad quarters, a 1942 Silver Washington quarter(my birth year), 5 clad dimes, 4 copper memorial cents, and 4 wheat cents (3 wheats I gave to the owners). I also found a very nice small childs Sterling Ring w/a nice cut green gem of some kind(no picture), because I gave that to the owners to keep. This property has been in the same family for over 100 years, so I am sure one of them probably dropped that ring, and I wanted them to have it. The coins above have not been cleaned & are just as they came out of the ground to include the Silver Quarter......Sure love a silver coin vs clad how it looks in the plugged hole.....this one was over 6 inches deep. Thanks for looking, and I will clean the dirt off the silver quarter and repost a better picture of it. Bigger silver is always fun to find.

HH
Bil

Cleaned picture of the quarter, just used soap & water.....Thanks:

005.JPG 006.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 6

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your finds.. cool you gave up the ring.... Where are you in FL? and where do you hunt most often? I see that you got 6 silvers this year, but your clad numbers are off the chain.. interested in your hunting habits, if you don't mind my asking?

OP
OP
wlb42

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your finds.. cool you gave up the ring.... Where are you in FL? and where do you hunt most often? I see that you got 6 silvers this year, but your clad numbers are off the chain.. interested in your hunting habits, if you don't mind my asking?

Hey, Dave.......I live in Gadsden county, north of Havana, FL.....right on the FL/GA state line but inside FL......so hunt alot of areas in GA as well as FL.......but the method I use to find a lot of clad is this, which you may have seen:

Thanks for asking.The last 4 months, since I received the VDI Whites MX5, I have been working my own priority plan of recovering targets to cut down on excessive digging and trash, that works for me in 2 stages......1st stage I use high discrimination(with only VID 70-90 notched in) which will recover ALL clad & silver dollars, halfs, quarters, dimes, 95% copper cents & silver jewelry, but "0" pulltabs, then 2nd stage, return and grid in ALL metal to recover nickels, gold and alot of trash and digging. But this works for me as I just turned 73 and have been doing this over 44 years.......I love the silver coins and cannot hunt as many hours as I used to at one outing.....and most nickels & indianhead cents don't come out of the ground in very good condition, So it is about the gold rings for me. However on the beach, I always hunt in All metal and dig everything, because percentage of rings lost there are much higher.......Just my personal method that I use for only the high traffic areas close to where I live, that I keep going back.....because we all know an area is NEVER cleaned out, as experience and equipment improvements continue in the future & high traffic areas like school grounds, playgrounds, tot-lots, sports fields, parks, beaches, etc. coin & jewelry drops happen daily. .......Good Luck & Happy Hunting to ALL

P.S. And this April silver find makes me a total of 7 silver. The now 2 silver quarters are the 1844 & 1942 found today.....Thanks.

HH
Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
wlb42

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish you were my Dad.

Hey Dave........I think I could learn a lot from you "son".......looks like you dug almost 40 silver coins last year, not to mention that HUGE 1916-D Mercury Dime:laughing7:......and ALL of the nice relics, etc.......I have had some excellent years on silver coins, but 2014 was not one of them.....All 7 silver coins for this year was found in the last 30 days.....so I hope 2015 will be a much better year......Good Luck to us both for 2015:occasion14:........Oh, & to ALL of our Tnet hunting associates as well!!:occasion14:

HH
Bill

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions