Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...how some detectors can lock onto a target, hardly moving around the conductivity scale and some detectors can hit the same target and yet have trouble maintaining a lock at 4"?

Almost every air test on youtube of all detectors always has the tester holding the coin parallel to the coil determine depth and stability. But in the real world, coins aren't usually parallel in the ground. An air test and a buried garden can actually be deceiving of what a detector can actually do.

There are the "beep and dig" machines that are probably deeper, but I happen to be a hobbyist who would rather not dig below 8", but have a better idea of what I should expect in an 8" dig.

My F2 seems to have better ID lock than my LRP and QDP. Yet the two latter are deeper than the F2 (or at least air test 2-3" further). I'm trying to figure out if we pay more for a better ID process as detectors escalate in price.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of it this way. Units with screens are digital and digital detectors are programed to either treat the return signal as on or off. There is no in between way for it to work. Analog detectors like the Tesoro's have an infinite range to respond to a target and the disc. ID is more accurate. They are usually deeper with the same amount of sens.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Phantasman I love your posts, I read your F2 vs the QDP , was wondering is the LRP relativity the same as the QDP? Also do you like the 10 in oblong coil or the DD coil?

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Loco-Digger

Thanks for the kind words. I had listed a problem I had with the LRP locking on to nickels in the BH thread. It seems that the QDP may have the same thing going on. I went to a park today, and the QDP is great on dimes and quarters. I never found a nickel. This is true with the LRP as well. It's hard to go to this park and not get at least a nickel cause with the F2 I usually do. In fact, I found a 1.6 gram gold ring just before winter that hit as a nickel. It may be me, but I just cannot find a nickel with the QDP or LRP. The QDP does air test nicely, deeper than the F2 by 2". But I am wondering what is happening in the ground, because iffy signals I have dug at 4" should have IDed a lock as it does in an air test. A quarter can be detected up to 10" with the LRP 11" DD coil. Never found one more than 6". A nickel is detected in air to about 6-7". Never found one.

I have a place in my yard that has a nail about 2" down. The F2 hits it with a constant 9 maybe 10. The QDP hits it with a constant 12. The LRP was at different iron and gold numbers. I did a default reset and it hit like the QDP. My only conclusion is that the LRP may be more sensitive than the QDP since it is rated an inch deeper by the manual. But that could be just because it has a 1" larger coil.:BangHead:

I guess I'm just used to my old F5 being more stable. I could calm it with short slow sweeps. It doesn't work with my BH Pros. The QDP and LRP are great designs and perfect for my style hunting. But I am losing confidence in being able to find a ring like I did with the F2. That's why I'm asking the forum question. I like the 11" DD out of the two, but wish a NEL Hunter or Sharpshooter were easily available. The new FT coils for the BH Pros cost as much as the detectors themselves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Think of it this way. Units with screens are digital and digital detectors are programed to either treat the return signal as on or off. There is no in between way for it to work. Analog detectors like the Tesoro's have an infinite range to respond to a target and the disc. ID is more accurate. They are usually deeper with the same amount of sens.

Hi Sandman

It was my understanding that the analog/digital is more in the controls. Knobs to adjust (analog) vs setting numeric parameters with + and -. The Deleon seemed to work like most digital TIDs displaying a return signal with a conductivity number, yet the parameters could be measured differently on the 5 segment graduated meter. A conductivity could be 95 with a peg of the silver segment, or it could be 95 as well with a half way iron segment "and" a half way pull tab segment. 2 parameters adding up to 95 or one adding up to 95. I may be wrong. Maybe Dave J will comment.

I will agree where you were going with on and off. A DVD disc works at high speed reading "bits". Bits are either open or closed. So many bits (megabits) can be read so fast a world of info can be displayed in a millisecond. Micro circuitry is amazing. A Fisher F44 working off of 2 AA batteries. Tesoro isn't all analog circuitry (thank you MicroMax) from my experience.

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally the more expensive detectors have more resolution in the discrimination range, starting to resemble that of an analog detector which doesn't really have segments, as Sandman mentioned.

I never really consider the BH and Fisher to be the same caliber of machine, irrespective of your depth tests and the fact of them now being made by the same people.

Basically it is confusing to compare a top of the line BH to an entry level fisher.

Nonetheless my Xterra 505 has less ID segments (19) compared to the 705 which has 28 segments. So in some cases mine might bounce around a little more on certain targets then the 705 would.
Not all the time, just on targets that are borderline or straddle two of my ID numbers.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll huck this in.I got my wife an f2 three yrs ago.I got her an atp this winter.She hates the atp...loves the f2.I got her the DD 11"coil for the f2 and she has never looked back.that f2 kicks but.it is deeper,more accurate and provides much beter seperation and performance in the mineralised areas of our mountains as compared the the stock 8"concentric.
I bought a qd bh for an employee who didnt take to the hobby and gave it back.I used it for a week while my ml was being repaired.It was a decent machine but no way in the same class as a coiled up f2..no comparison.
:occasion14:

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the discrimination selection, ground, sensitivity...is a pot adjustment in a Tesoro. This allows a continuously variable selection (analog) of settings rather than fixed discrete numeric selection(digital). The actual inner working as far as signal processing, scanning, sampling, quantization is all digital signal processing (DSP) inside of Tesoro guys, including eprom software that decides what a good target is when disc is set. Wonder what those F44 will do, excitement for sure !

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pretty much don't use the screen except to confirm what my ears are telling me. First of all, I can't walk, swing my machine, look at my screen and keep track of where my feet are at the same time. And, the audio is much more accurate than than the TID. If it sounds good, don't much care what the ID says or whether it locks.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is slightly off the thread, but worth mentioning IMHO. 3 times out of 5, more or less, bouncing IDs on my tid detectors will turn out to be coin spills and well worth digging to find out. Also, my experience has been fairly stable readings as long as the coin is relatively flat and not too deep.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread