Fossil? Of what? Or maybe something else?

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if these rocks are fossils or just some crazy mineral formation. But I've so far found three of them in a cellar hole that I'm excavating. They remind me of rocks I find around here that I call "fossilized beach" that have just tons of tiny little fossils in them, crinoids, shells, and such. These have a similar look to them, but different. They're very sparkly in sunlight, like they're made of quartz or something, though they don't look like quartz. They have visible lines and segments all over, some almost white like a bone, others the same color as the rock. They're most easily viewed wet, so these photos are of the wet rocks. What do you think? Are these fossils? Some kind of mineral? They are not common here, whatever they are. (The photos really don't show the structure very well. The photos kinda just look like rocks. They're definitely more interesting in person.)

IMG_1341.jpeg IMG_1342.jpeg IMG_1343.jpeg IMG_1344.jpeg

OP
OP
robertk

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m not seeing the fossilization.
It's really hard to see in the photos (erhaps I should try to get better photos). But the raised areas look like "veins" or bones or something, and they're a lighter color than the rest of the rock. They're rounded, not angular like I'd expect a mineral inclusion to be.

It could definitely be just a weird kind of rock. It's just strange looking -- I don't really recall ever finding anything like it here before. The veins and white pieces suggested bone or fossil to me, but maybe not. (The whole thing is probably reddish color from iron staining -- it was under some wire and sheet metal in the ground for over 100 years).

OP
OP
robertk

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SO some strange mineral then? I'll repost over in that section of the forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread