found 5 rupees in my $10 quarter roll

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
long story short, I went to my local bank to deposit some cash to my account then asked for a $10 roll of quarters which i had planned to pay for parking @ a college campus that night.

about to leave town for campus and i opened the roll thinking i could have scored some silver... you never know, and spotted what looked to be silver and to my surprise found a unknown coin to me.

IMG_20120928_173729.jpg

IMG_20120928_173737.jpg

took it back to the bank with the roll of quarters and they were very surprised because they said it was a "federal roll" and were amazed it made it in there and swapped me a quarter with no issue. they thought it was russian.

after getting to campus and talking with a girl from Syria, she said she could only make out the word "Pakistan" on it... so i googled "Pakistan 5 coin" and found it to be a 5 rupee coin from pakistan made with copper & nickle and only worth approximately .09¢ USD.

maybe i should have tested it in a coinstar machine to see if it passed off as a quarter there too... and if it did start buying rupee coins in bulk online :laughing7:

thought i'd share my experience :hello:

Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
You never get "federal rolls" unless you order direct from the US Mint. In which cases the wrappers will be blue and white (usually) and will say US MINT on them. And yes, most coins like that will work no problem in coin operated machines (granted, its not entirely legal to do so) because they are usually the same weight/diameter. Also, I wouldn't ever take foreign coins back to the bank because they might stop selling you rolls if you do it too often. Just accept it as an interesting coin for your collection and carry on.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
You never get "federal rolls" unless you order direct from the US Mint. In which cases the wrappers will be blue and white (usually) and will say US MINT on them. And yes, most coins like that will work no problem in coin operated machines (granted, its not entirely legal to do so) because they are usually the same weight/diameter. Also, I wouldn't ever take foreign coins back to the bank because they might stop selling you rolls if you do it too often. Just accept it as an interesting coin for your collection and carry on.

I got a $1000 bag of quarters once with $26 worth of Korean Won.

Risk you take, regardless of it being a roll or bag.

OP
OP
G

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
i dont particularly go out of my way to go CRH.. but when i need a roll of quarters for a weekend of partying on campus i need a handfull of quarters which is when i trade a $10 bill for a $10 roll of quarters.

and my $10 roll of quarters was in a white wrapper with orange print on it. and directly out of the tellers mouth came the words of it being a "federal roll"
I dont order boxes of quarters, just ask my teller for a single roll now and then.

My quarters come in rolls that look exactly like this
quarterroll.jpg

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
i dont particularly go out of my way to go CRH.. but when i need a roll of quarters for a weekend of partying on campus i need a handfull of quarters which is when i trade a $10 bill for a $10 roll of quarters.

and my $10 roll of quarters was in a white wrapper with orange print on it. and directly out of the tellers mouth came the words of it being a "federal roll"
I dont order boxes of quarters, just ask my teller for a single roll now and then.

My quarters come in rolls that look exactly like this
View attachment 682289

Tellers are misinformed a lot, the roll came from a processing company.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread