Found a Couple and Springs First Wildflowers

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Found a Couple and Spring's First Wildflowers

I went out to an area hoping to walk a few gravel bars but the water was up so there wasn't much showing. But as I drove into the area, I noticed a cow pasture had been disced up pretty heavily.
This has been a pasture ever since I was a little kid. I remember my dad sitting on a log at the edge of the pasture once, listening to his hounds running a fox down in the timber. While he was sitting there, the fox ran up from behind and jumped up on the other end of the log. They just sat there staring at each other for a minute or so.
Anyway, I've always drooled over that high hill in the pasture, wishing it was bare dirt and now it was. At first, I didn't find any indication of past occupation. I slowly worked my way up to the top of the hill and started running into flakes of chert. There were only a few at first but by the time I got to the top of the hill, they were everywhere.

chips.jpg

I knew it was just a matter of time before I found something good. Finally, I saw a stemmed base sticking straight up out of a dirt clod. Bingo, my first piece of the year.

p1a.jpg

p1b.jpg

p1c.jpg

About twenty minutes later, I found a large triangle blade.

p2a.jpg

p2b.jpg

p2c.jpg

Here's a picture of the field. I can't wait for a good rain. The landowner is going to put it back into grass so I've got to take advantage of it while it's bare.

field.jpg

I also found a few wildflowers that were starting to blossom. First is a Snow Trillium, second, hepatica and third, is false rue anemone. Mmmmmm, I can almost smell the mushrooms! :hello2:

t1.jpg

h1.jpg

fra1.jpg

Matt G

Mar 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found a Couple and Spring's First Wildflowers

Wow Tom! That first point is really nice! I know statisitcs say its probably Adena, but darn it has some real cody characteristics! The triangle looks like he tip off a larger blade that suffered a bending fracture at some point.

One other interesting thing that I notice loud and clear in your post and I see ALL the time in my own hunting; the points you find very rarely are made from the predominant lithic debitage material of the area. Kinda makes sense since folks likely weren't inclined to just leave good points lying around where they were made, but it also has implications for understanding how the land was used (i.e. good camping locations were also apparently good hunting locations assuming whole points were lost during the hunt). Maybe that sounds silly, but I still find it interesting that you almost never find a point in a field made from the same material as the flakes (at least in parts of Iowa other than the southeast or northeast corner).

Matt

OP
OP
Prime_Focus

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa

I'm not really sure of what the first one is but it resembles a Kramer.
http://www.projectilepoints.net/Pages/Searches/Points/Kramer.html
Can you tell what the material is? I was really thinking I'd find something made from Winterset Chert but only the flakes and there were a lot of those. I didn't find any pottery but it doesn't seem like I ever find much pottery in the area I was in.

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other

that's a killer day prime...new soil seeing the sun, i have and i'm sure many on here have a couple fields that we all wish that could happen too...many fun days for you lie ahead! good luck!

Matt G

Mar 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like Burlington from the pic, but its tough to tell for sure because its still dirty. Is there a little pink on the bottom half, or is it just my monitor?

Matt

OP
OP
Prime_Focus

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa

That's just a trick of light, I think. If the sun had been shining, the top part of the picture would have been in full sunlight and the bottom part in my shadow. There were light clouds at the time so there is more of a yellow cast to the top part. Even my hand looks redder in the bottom part of the picture.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds!! Husband just cultivated my field for the umpteenth time. A deeper cut this time, had a rain but not hard enough, I found some really nice points.

JRuss

Mar 25, 2011

Awesome Tom! I wouldn't be able to concentrate knowing I had a new field like that to walk. Should find a few more in there.

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011

Wow, after a good soaker that could be quite a spot :thumbsup:

Nice finds Tom, I have been trying to get caught up on stuff that I have been putting off to hunt the past 5 years :whip2:

I broke my stick this last winter :angry5: I know that might not sound like a big deal, but I found a axe the very first time I took it out, and 4 more after that.....Not to mention the many points....Including my clovis.

I wonder with all this warm weather if we'll be finding mushrooms in march :icon_scratch:

Way to start out the year!!!

1point

Mar 13, 2011
Central Iowa

Great pics in bloom Tom but to the point ;D Nice job! we all dream of the first flip - at least in our lifetime that you know holds artifacts. Going to seed again?? You better drink the milk before it spoils on you. Were anticipating the hauls while the door is open.....

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010

Just awesome Tom I have yet to find a trillium patch in sprout down here a shure sighn of spring ,I like what Matt had to say and so true some spots I got in Madison co. are just littered in the same type debutaige but rarely find a projectile from it instead big cores and brokedown spalls I think trade goods is factor on such places .

M

mikusek

Great finds..................... and you had to mention mushrooms, makes me want to live in Iowa again. Someday maybe.

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011

Absolutely stunning Uncle Tom!

Looking forward to much, much more this spring!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread