Found a strange looking brass keyhole escutcheon today. Need help dating it.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed to get out for an hour today. Only had two good finds, a 1928 wheatie and a brass keyhole escutcheon. The escutcheon has a very strange design. The top opening looks like a skeleton key would fit inside it, but the bottom opening is a mystery. Not sure what the heck it would go around. Check out the photos and give me a guess as to it's age and why it was manufactured with the weird bottom opening. Thanks!

DSC05889.JPG DSC05887.JPG

Upvote 3

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe the door handle was a single lever and not a round knob it would be in bottom hole.?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess on age would be 1880's - 1900's.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The bottom hole could be just decorative, but with the positioning, I would tend to think that there was a sort of clasp shaft that would fit through the lower hole. With a slight twist, it would lock. Could not be unlocked without the key.

It might also be that there were two keys - one a standard key, and the other designed to fit in the lower hole, which would disable additional pins or a catch of some sort.

...I really don't have a clue what I'm talking about, so don't take my words for anything but those of a madman!! Jeckyl and Hyde.gif

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help, guys. This one's going to bug me! I'll be doing a Google image search until I find a photo with the lock setup. Maybe from a desk, but that's just a guess on my part.

It doesn't have any screw holes, so it must have been tapped into pre-drilled holes in the wood. Strange way to attach an escutcheon...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check Grandpa Snazzys 1832 S Broadway Denver, CO 80210 Don't have the phone number here with me. Call them and arrange to send them a picture. Tell them you're looking for matches to it & ask if they can send you a copy of the catalog page if they have it (they usually do!). They've been a big help to me over the years for locks I've been restoring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions