found a v nickel

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't believe it, I found my first v nickel today at work. I opened a roll of nickels and then a few orders later there it is in my drawer. Its a 1903 and its in decent condition considering the age.

I was just curious if anyone else goes through nickels how many boxes did it take for you to find a v nickel? I'm trying to figure out a rough estimate of what the odds are for finding a coin like that at work. Thanks :)

Upvote 0

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I pulled one from a box last week, looking at the reverse I thought it was a blank at first but then when I flipped it over the date 1899 was clear as was the outline of lady liberty's head. I think I found three or four now with doing a couple to three boxes of nickels a week so they are a hard find where I'm at. Good job finding one at work. Maybe try to check your rolls when dumping them if you have any free time, it would be a shame to give away a V nickel or silver to a customer but I guess you are already trying to check them as you work. Here is the one I found.

1899vnickelf.jpg 1899vnickel.jpg

Last edited:

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Believe it or not, I found a V nickel in my first box =). I've done maybe 10-15 boxes since and have found 7 war nickels and 5 buffalo's. All in all...I find nickels a lot of fun to search, but they are a lot heavier than other coins and make dumps a pain in the @%#.

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
One per 20 boxes is my average. I had one box that was clearly a collection dump with 46 in it.

Here was the first one I ever found, the only keeper in the box...

IMAG0310.jpg

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
minkybodl said:
Maybe try to check your rolls when dumping them if you have any free time, it would be a shame to give away a V nickel or silver to a customer but I guess you are already trying to check them as you work.

Most of the time I don't have time to check the nickels and pennies when I run out and open a roll but I can't see myself giving away a v nickel or buffalo in change just bc they look so different. War nickels are a different story. I try to check the dates on the older looking nickels but haven't found any yet. The same thing goes with pennies. I can't see myself giving away an indian head because it looks so different. I do try to fish out all the wheats though by trying to give out the newer pennies first and give the ones that are face down.

Merc Crazy said:
One per 20 boxes is my average. I had one box that was clearly a collection dump with 46 in it.

That's a nice box!

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minkybodl I just noticed u mentioned checking for silver too. That I actually do check for most of the time, mainly when I open up a roll I edge check. When there's already quarters and dimes in the drawer I check the edge before I give it to the customer and the same thing goes for putting new change into my drawer. I've found 2 silver dimes before which isn't that bad. I'm still waiting for someone to spend a silver half or peace or morgan dollar lol. If anyone's willing to spend one let me know and we can set that up lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread