Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all hope your hunting is going well !
I was at dr in nyc with my wife today had some time to kill so we walked around
Small shop says we buy gold and silver. Hmm so I ask the guy if he has any coins he tries to sell me some Rosie's and Washington silver I politely say no I'm interested in older coins he says ok pulls out a bag starts putting some out I choose a few. 1 1879 O Morgan beautiful condition
1 1921 Morgan again beautiful 1 1926 Oregon trail half dollar stunning 1 1929 S standing liberty 1 barber dime ( forgot the year ) very nice detail and 2 V nickels 1902 ,1906
I paid fifty dollars for all. And he has more ! What to do ? I'm not usually a buyer of coins just collect what I find and do not usually sell stuff but if there is money to be made y - not image.jpg

Upvote 2

DIE HARD

Dec 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually don't see Morgan's for under 30$ so just two of those for 50$ sounds like a deal

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sure hope they are real..

OP
OP
Eastcoasthunter21

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I should stick to digging !! Lol. I brought them to a reputable coin shop
They are real but have been cleaned. So the collector value is not high so he said they were worth 17 each and less for the half dollar. I will keep them but will not buy like this again.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to be on the safe side, I would run a magnet around the edge and on both sides. Any magnetic pull anywhere and they aren't real.

OP
OP
Eastcoasthunter21

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did that. They are real. Believe that coin guy said that also just cleaned and polished. That's what hurt the value

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats still not a bad price what you paid. And the numbers the coin guy gave was probally what he would pay. That half is probally the best out if all those even cleaned like that.

BU 1926 Oregon Trail Commemorative Silver Half Dollar | eBay

i found a good way to test is they are real is to run them uner your coil. Ive bought fakes on purpose and none were magnetic. But they always read lower on my detector. I doubt yours are fakes, they dont look like the typical fakes wth the painted on patina.

id give ya 20 for that half ��

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah , No Worries friend ! You scored nicely - even with the cleaning - the Oregon piece alone is worth the $50 - (the dealer is straight up
wrong at less than $17) . Could you put up some closer pics of all -please !

(if your's is the 1926 philly mint , there were less than 50K minted ! even if it's San Fran. mintage is less than 90K !! )

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions